Physx or ATI

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2009 9:01:18 PM

So the only game i currently play that uses physx is UT3 but i am lookin more into games that use the engine. I cant seem to find an stand alone pci Physx card, so if it came down to it:

option A: Get the radeon 4870 1 gig monster of a graphix card,

Option B: Get the gtx 260 that has physx on it, for the specific reason of it having phsyx.

I will also say, that hte mobo i am buying has a respectable nvidia graphix onbard, i dont know if it is even possible, but potentially i wonder if i could setup the onboard to run phsyx and the 4870.

If you have any suggestions please let me know

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

More about : physx ati

June 5, 2009 9:13:18 PM

If your MOBO has an Nvidia chipset I think you should just go with the GTX260 , and no you cannot run the ATI with PhysX because you would need 2 separate drivers.
Related resources
June 5, 2009 9:21:04 PM

ignoring my mobo for a minute, is there any option for ati users who play games with phsyx?
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 5, 2009 9:36:23 PM

The OP in the thread I linked to believes that they have cracked it, I still remain a little how shall we say 'sceptical'.
June 5, 2009 9:44:39 PM

oh wow srry i missed that, didn't get an email.. i apologize
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2009 9:46:21 PM

Gin Fushicho said:
If your MOBO has an Nvidia chipset I think you should just go with the GTX260 , and no you cannot run the ATI with PhysX because you would need 2 separate drivers.

Don't spread ignorance! :pfff: 

You CAN do it, but only in XP and Win7, Vista doesn't allow multiple display drivers (due to WDDM implementation) but XP and Win 7 do.

And even with Vista it's only because of the way nV implements CUDA-PhysX that you can't gert it to work without installing their display drivers.

But people have been running XP dual ATi/nV card solutions almost from day one of Geforce PhysX.

-edited for clarity.-
June 5, 2009 9:54:55 PM

so give up dx10 for phsyx, take dx10 give up phsyx... this is irritating lol...

What about getting instead of a 4870 1gig.. getting two 9800 gt's sli.. would that have a greater performance boost than 1 4870? It may sound ignorant but im not to terribly sure when it comes to all the new pc stuff... i knew a few years ago but damn...
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2009 10:02:07 PM

That's doable, but really, you could also get the best single card, and then move to Win7.

However if you don't care about sticking with ATi and wanna stay with Vista, I would recommend a GTX260 or better on it's own, and then a cheap GF9500 for the physX stuff.

I don't think PhysX as a platform has legs, but IMO if you really wanna play it then go the GTX plus low end GF9 route, better use of resources.
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 5, 2009 10:13:11 PM

jhowell said:
so give up dx10 for phsyx, take dx10 give up phsyx... this is irritating lol...

Not if you 'upgrade' to Win 7.

Edit:TGGA mentioned that, Hmm, why I not get memo?
June 5, 2009 10:20:31 PM

ah mostly just because i dont follow this kind of stuff, i wasn't aware windows 7 was out yet, now that i know that it certainly does solve my problem...

with that said it looks like i can get the 9500gt run it as my physx then keep my beloved 4870... pimpin!

thanks for the help all, sometimes im slow on the uptake, just didn't realize somethings =) Take care
June 5, 2009 10:25:24 PM

god ok my bad im sorry to ask something again... =((((((

back to the mobo with nvidia graphics on it, can i use that onboard gfx to run phsyx and use 4870 regularly?

I am being slow again =(
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 5, 2009 10:28:58 PM

Download the Win 7 RC from the MS site for free, it will work until March 2010, DO NOT download from a torrent or P2P as there are some rather nasty infected ones being put up.
June 5, 2009 11:18:00 PM

Using Win 7 RC... and my 4770 x2 cards are doin great...
!