Gigabyte udr3 or Asrock x58 extreme

schneiderb

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hi everyone, I am currently in the process of building a gaming computer. My build has been at a screeching halt due my inability to choose a motherboard. I have had my eyes on the gigabyte udr3 motherboard for quit some time, but I am a little confused on whether or not the boards express 2.0 slots are too close. I have heard of people complaining about the temperatures of their graphics cards with this board. That is why I also took a look at the asrock x58 extreme motherboard. Only problem I have with this board is the quality. Plus the VRM temperatures seem to be a bit high compared to the other boards.

It would be extremely helpful if someone could give me some input on these two motherboards or even recommend another motherboard :D

mikengail

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

I don't know anything about the UDR3, but I do have the Asrock x58 Extreme and really like it. I'm currently running an i7 920 D0 stepping at 4ghz with no problems. There is a thread at "overclock.net" that goes into some detail about this board from several users there:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/588268-asus-asrock-p55-x58-club-discussion.html

The consensus seems to be that they all like it and prefer it to many other more expensive solutions. Just my 2 cents...

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

i had the ud3r for my 775 build (p45 chipset) and got the asrock x58 extreme for my i7 build and so far so good, i am at a stable o/c of 3.6