Sign in with
Your question

Cpu temp and fan speed is much higher in BIOS than in windows 7, why?

Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2009 8:42:29 PM

Hi, everyone, I have this new computer:

Core i7 920 D0 stepping @ 2.66Ghz stock speed
ASUS P6T Mobo
OCZ Gold PC12800 2Gx3
MSI twin tower OC GTX275
I update the BIOS to the latest version, which is 0603. Q-fan enabled.

My confusion is that in BIOS the Tcase (CPU temp) is reported as about 47C and the fan speed is about 1100 - 1200 rpm, almost full speed.

In windows 7, however, the Tcase I see in Everest and Speed fan is both about 36C, and fan speed is both reported about 500 - 700 rpm.

In Linux, the Tcase temperature and CPU fan speed is reported as the same with the report from BIOS. Thus linux runs louder than windows.

Why is there such a huge difference? I always thought the CPU fan is control directly by motherboard and is independent of OS, if one do NOT use any software fan control.

Does this mean Windows 7 has some fan control mechanism integrated in the OS? I doubt it though.

Help please, everyone ;) 

Btw, the Core temps at idle are 42, 39, 41, 40
a c 158 à CPUs
August 19, 2009 9:35:07 PM

yingwuzhao said:
Hi, everyone, I have this new computer:

Core i7 920 D0 stepping @ 2.66Ghz stock speed
ASUS P6T Mobo
OCZ Gold PC12800 2Gx3
MSI twin tower OC GTX275
I update the BIOS to the latest version, which is 0603. Q-fan enabled.

My confusion is that in BIOS the Tcase (CPU temp) is reported as about 47C and the fan speed is about 1100 - 1200 rpm, almost full speed.

In windows 7, however, the Tcase I see in Everest and Speed fan is both about 36C, and fan speed is both reported about 500 - 700 rpm.

In Linux, the Tcase temperature and CPU fan speed is reported as the same with the report from BIOS. Thus linux runs louder than windows.

Why is there such a huge difference? I always thought the CPU fan is control directly by motherboard and is independent of OS, if one do NOT use any software fan control.

Does this mean Windows 7 has some fan control mechanism integrated in the OS? I doubt it though.

Help please, everyone ;) 

Btw, the Core temps at idle are 42, 39, 41, 40

--------------------

speedfan don't work very well in win 7, if you look, speedfan in some cases don't recognize the HDD.
August 19, 2009 11:31:42 PM

Please, someone know what he/she is talking about help me. :( 
Related resources
August 20, 2009 12:45:03 AM

In the BIOS, there is no drivers for power management like in Windows. That means that every single part of the CPU is running full power, using more power so it heat up higher, even is it is idling.

Idling cpu in Windows just has some part of it running with less power or turned off if not in use. This is why you see higher temp in BIOS.
August 20, 2009 1:21:13 AM

that makes sense, thank.

Then again, running core i7 on linux, may not be a good idea at this moment.
Damn.
August 20, 2009 9:38:48 PM

Is there any linux core i7 users here?

Can you share your experience with this issue?

What is your Linux distro?
Is the CPU fan speed control works well out of box for you?
What is your cpu fan speed ?

Thanks a lot.
August 21, 2009 5:42:19 PM

yingwuzhao said:
that makes sense, thank.

Then again, running core i7 on linux, may not be a good idea at this moment.
Damn.

since i7 is recent, maybe the power management driver is not quite polished..
!