Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cheap Raid Array Advice please

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 10, 2011 8:26:56 PM

I want to make a raid array. with hopefully a terabyte or so minimum memory. but i want to spend around < 100 on it.

Basically i want a really cheap raid array.

Thanks,
a b G Storage
January 10, 2011 11:56:38 PM

What kind of RAID? If RAID 0 or 1, there are some enclosures that have the feature. If you are talking about RAID 5, it will be hard since most of the HDD manufactures removed essential features on consumer type HDD that are necessary for RAID 5. Basically forcing you to buy enterprise type HDDs
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 12:16:57 AM

electrontau said:
What kind of RAID? If RAID 0 or 1, there are some enclosures that have the feature. If you are talking about RAID 5, it will be hard since most of the HDD manufactures removed essential features on consumer type HDD that are necessary for RAID 5. Basically forcing you to buy enterprise type HDDs


Er.. raid 1, 0, and 1+0. my motherboard (MSI 890FX-gd70) i think already has controller? i know it definitely supports raid.

Also! i want cheapppp :D  whats the cheapest
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 93 G Storage
January 11, 2011 4:03:26 AM

consult your manual for the correct BIOS settings
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 4:06:58 AM

Emerald said:
consult your manual for the correct BIOS settings


kk.. around how many of these should i buy?.. like. using how many will raid 0 show a significant difference? Also do i need to buy a external raid case? and what size should it be? Also! do i need to buy minimum for if i want to do 0+1?

Thanks :D 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 93 G Storage
January 11, 2011 4:35:09 AM

the min for RAID0 or RAID1 is two

the min for RAID5 is tree

the min for RAID10 is four
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 2:19:46 PM

I highly recommend researching RAID levels and determining what your needs are and what RAID level will best suit them. If you desire high performance, then a RAID 0 is your best bet. However, with a RAID 0, you get NO redundancy. If one drive fails, all data is lost. A Minimum of 2 drives are required for a RAID 0. If you desire data redundancy, and speed is not a primary concern, then a RAID 1 is what you need. Same thing, a RAID 1 requires 2 drives. If you need both speed and redundancy, a RAID 10 is a good choice, and requires 4 drives. If you're using a motherboard-based RAID controller, this is where my recommendations stop. A RAID 5 is good for larger arrays that require redundancy, and they require a minimum of 3 drives. They are descent performance-wise if you use a good hardware RAID card (caching w/ hardware RAID engine) but with onboard RAID controllers they can sometimes not be very fast. With your $100 budget, obviously, a raid card (as well as a RAID 5) is probably out of the budget.
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 8:31:51 PM

What do you want the RAID for? Speed? Or Redundancy?

If speed is what you are after, a couple of 500 GB drives in raid 0 would do, keep in mind there would be a higher chance of failure compared to a single drive.

If redundancy is what you are after, with you budget, I would recommend using an external HDD as a backup....

Also, you should read http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259807-32-raid
if you havent already.....
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 8:37:15 PM

teflon2287 said:
What do you want the RAID for? Speed? Or Redundancy?

If speed is what you are after, a couple of 500 GB drives in raid 0 would do, keep in mind there would be a higher chance of failure compared to a single drive.

If redundancy is what you are after, with you budget, I would recommend using an external HDD as a backup....

Also, you should read http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259807-32-raid
if you havent already.....


I want both :p  thats why i was thinking 0+1 raid
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 8:44:05 PM

RONNCC said:
I want both :p  thats why i was thinking 0+1 raid


Raid 1+0 requires a minimum of 4 drives. If you want a total of 1TB then you need 4 drives each with 500GB of space. This will be hard with your budget, the drives alone will be almost $200. If you want speed then you would want fast drives to start with too, not just any cheap drive. A raid for speed would not make sense with "blue" or "green" drives. Plus you will need an appropriate raid controller, but your motherboard may already have that.
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 10:00:22 PM

cadder said:
Raid 1+0 requires a minimum of 4 drives. If you want a total of 1TB then you need 4 drives each with 500GB of space. This will be hard with your budget, the drives alone will be almost $200. If you want speed then you would want fast drives to start with too, not just any cheap drive. A raid for speed would not make sense with "blue" or "green" drives. Plus you will need an appropriate raid controller, but your motherboard may already have that.


Oh :(  expensive >.> i found 2tb for 160 (4 500's) but thats still expensive >.>.....
er. my motherboard is MSI 890FX-gd70. i dont know if it has the controller.

hmm... 4 drives.. ill just try to run Raid 0 >.>
m
0
l
!