Very Strange Warmup when Booting PC

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
My signature PC has a very strange startup sequence. When I boot the pc, it goes through the boot screen sequence normally but then it locks up and one of my fans make a loud noise while ramping up. Then the pc freezes. I reboot the system, then everything works fine. Fans run quiet, system runs fine. NO issues with instability after the system goes through its warmup sequence. This only occurs when I am doing a cold boot, such as when I turn it off overnight or for a few days.

My question is, since I have the system overclocked and running 8gb memory with 5 cooling fans, Could the system need that time to just warm up all the circuits before leveling out and performing? OR, could my PSU need the time to warm up its circuits to produce the solid wave of electricity I need to keep the system overclocked stable.

I have checked everything and no problems with hardware I can find. I have run numerous benchmarking programs with no faults. I have unplugged the fans and no help.

Let me reiterate, this only occurs on cold boots. Once the system warms up, no problems. I can reboot and benchmark, and game and my temps are well below parameters.

MSI P55-GD85
I5-750 @3.9 Ghz
8GB Corsair XMS @1600 Mhz
Silverstone PSU @ 750 watts
ATI 5850
2 1TB hard drives
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

CPU temps 36c on idle, 51c on full load

No. You do not have a warmup problem. Neither the system nor the PSU needs a warmup period.

Does your system do this running at BIOS defaults? If it does, you have a problem with basic system.

If it runs fine at stock frequencies, you have something wrong with your overclock settings.