First Timer, i7 build, do I need extra fans?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of May 2009
BUDGET RANGE: US$800-1000
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Video Editing, surfing the internet
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, and OS
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon.com
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future (XMas? When I get a raise?)
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200


Hi guys!

This is my first attempt at building my own desktop! I want to build one that gets the most bang for the buck and will last for 5-6 years.
I'm also leaving room open for future expansion.
From what I understand, there are two fans on the tower I am looking at (Antec 300). Is that enough to keep my system from frying?
Also, I'm curious if there is anything else I should replace on the list with something else.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Now for the parts...


PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail ($99.99)

MB - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard ($249.99)

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4x256MB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA1366 130W Quad Core Processor ($279.99)

Video - SAPPHIRE 100277L Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ($99.99)

RAM - OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail ($85.99)

HD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive ($69.99)

DVD - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM ($26.99)

Tower - Antec 300 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($58.95)

Grand total: $971.88
8 answers Last reply
More about first timer build extra fans
  1. It all depends on your preferences. In the 800-1000 dollar range we would usually recommend an AMD build these days.

    Your system, as-is, is a bit heavy on processing compared to the GPU, at least for gaming. Going with a less expensive quad core would free up a bit more for the GPU.

    As a matter of future expansion, this PSU would be a bit of an upgrade over your choice:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011


    You don't need to add fans up front for the Antec 300. It's a good upgrade however to do so.
    I like to recommend these:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6176/fan-346/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_UV_Reactive_LED_Fan_-_UV_Blue_D12SM-124UB.html?tl=g36c331s518
    But if you don't want the lights:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185059
    Good balance of air flow and silence.
  2. monsterrain said:
    APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of May 2009
    BUDGET RANGE: US$800-1000
    SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Video Editing, surfing the internet
    PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, and OS
    PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon.com
    PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel
    OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
    SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future (XMas? When I get a raise?)
    MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200


    Hi guys!

    This is my first attempt at building my own desktop! I want to build one that gets the most bang for the buck and will last for 5-6 years.
    I'm also leaving room open for future expansion.
    From what I understand, there are two fans on the tower I am looking at (Antec 300). Is that enough to keep my system from frying?
    Also, I'm curious if there is anything else I should replace on the list with something else.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Now for the parts...


    PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail ($99.99)

    MB - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard ($249.99)

    CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4x256MB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA1366 130W Quad Core Processor ($279.99)

    Video - SAPPHIRE 100277L Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ($99.99)

    RAM - OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail ($85.99)

    HD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive ($69.99)

    DVD - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM ($26.99)

    Tower - Antec 300 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($58.95)

    Grand total: $971.88


    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-nvidia-sli-motherboard,7463.html <--- Gigabyte: Enable SLI On X58 Boards

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 $58.95 Free Shipping*
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 $74.99 ($49.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R $179.99 | $164.99 after rebate
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I7-920 $265.99 Free Ground Shipping
    Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093 $36.99 Free Shipping*
    Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154003 $4.99
    Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434 $184.99 ($159.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
    EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247 $94.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319 $74.99 Free Shipping*
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171 $24.99 Free Shipping*
    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

    Total: $1,081.86 | $936.86 w/mail in rebates
  3. Fans:

    A good gaming system should have fans like this:

    1) PSU (temperature controlled)
    2) graphics (blow air out back)
    3) Heat Sink + 120mm fan for CPU (controlled by motherboard, setup in BIOS)
    4) 2x 120mm (low flow just to move out the hot air)
  4. Why_Me said:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-nvidia-sli-motherboard,7463.html <--- Gigabyte: Enable SLI On X58 Boards

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 $58.95 Free Shipping*
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 $74.99 ($49.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U3R $179.99 | $164.99 after rebate
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=I7-920 $265.99 Free Ground Shipping
    Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093 $36.99 Free Shipping*
    Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154003 $4.99
    Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434 $184.99 ($159.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
    EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247 $94.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319 $74.99 Free Shipping*
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171 $24.99 Free Shipping*
    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

    Total: $1,081.86 | $936.86 w/mail in rebates



    Did you use this PSU to keep the cost down, or would it be better than the PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail that Proximon mentioned?
  5. To keep the price down. The 750w is def. a better option seeing how it gives you the ability to SLI later on. On another note, that 550w will push two 4770's in SLI.
  6. If you are building a Gaming Rig. Go for AMD and AMD based CF motherboard- and add 4770 in CF... and you will save some $.... use the savings to plant some trees... :)
  7. witcherx said:
    If you are building a Gaming Rig. Go for AMD and AMD based CF motherboard- and add 4770 in CF... and you will save some $.... use the savings to plant some trees... :)

    The Gigabyte board does support CF as I remember. But I'd rather have the GTX 260 in the first place. Performs much better (2x) for 50$ more.
  8. Almost everyone else on this board is pushing this OCZ 550 except me.

    There are ZERO proper reviews done on this unit. It has never been properly tested. There are some assumptions that have been made because a larger PSU with the same name has been reviewed.

    Most of the people commenting in this thread are experts:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5295

    The 700W review:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/704

    Note that apparently the 550W is made by Sirtec, while the 700W is made by Impervio. Different OEMs mean very different PSUs. I'm not ready to hand OCZ a free pass at this point.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product