Sign in with
Your question

Computer Start Failure

Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2009 10:42:52 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to fix my nephew's computer. Its an AMD X2 5000 AM2 on an Asus M2N-E motherboard. He has an Antec case with an Earthwatts 500W PSU, 2GB of OCZ ram and some low end video card.

I recently formatted his PC after his illegal copy of Windows refused to boot up. I got him a legal copy of XP from work and got his computer running again. He brought it home and says it worked for a day before refusing to power on.

Pressing the power switch does nothing. However, the motherboard LED is on. I thought perhaps he had damaged that actual power switch so connected the reset switch to the Power Switch pins on the motherboard with no luck. All connectors and wires seem to be plugged in correctly.

I have never encountered a problem like this before. Any ideas on what could be wrong? The motherboard seems to be receiving power yet refuses to turn on. Could it be a bad PSU? CPU? Motherboard? Could an illegal copy of XP have wiped his bios perhaps?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

A.J.

More about : computer start failure

August 19, 2009 11:10:42 PM

The illegal copy of xp almost certainly did not do anything to the bios. Probably the windows installation was corrupted due to failing hardware. You need to troubleshoot the system and find what's wrong. The most likely culprit is bad ram. Test that first. If that's not the problem, then I'd test the hard drive and the psu next.
August 20, 2009 4:28:36 PM

Will the computer refuse to turn on if the ram is bad? There are two sticks of OCZ ram.

When I've had bad ram before, the computer would actual turn on and boot and then boot an error code. Have things change? I haven't really had to troubleshoot computers in a few year.
Related resources
a c 77 à CPUs
a c 89 V Motherboard
August 20, 2009 5:19:27 PM

It sounds more like a faulty PSU to me. Do you have a working PSU to try?
August 20, 2009 6:00:09 PM

If the Ram is bad the PC will still power on. Like shortstuff said its probley the PSU. I've never heard of the brand that u mentioned. Its probley of poor quality. Most of the time if u take a PSU to a local computer shop they can most likely test it for free.
If it is the PSU i would suggest buy a better quality PSU. One easy way to establish if a PSU is of good quality is by the weight of it. Take a Codegen 550watt psu and compare it to the weight of a BFG or Cooler Master one of the same watts. You'll notice a difference in weight over the Codegen or cheap brand. For a nice mid ranger power supply i have alot of luck with Cooler Master, they have some decent prices on there 500 watts and above. (plus 3 year warranty) BFGtech used to have life-time. Not sure if they still do this.

PC Power and Cooling , OCZ, and Corsair make in my opinion the best on the market. You'll pay for that in price tho.
August 20, 2009 6:17:37 PM

MGDJoker Please don't give advice as you don't know what you are taking about. Bad Ram certainly can cause a computer not to boot. I've had it happen. And Antec Earthwatts PSU's are well know as a good, quality brand.
August 20, 2009 6:29:19 PM

I said power-on fool. not boot, post ect. I dont think you know what your talking about. :lol:  And BTW i just realized that i misread his original post. I don't buy Antec PSU's and didnt see that Antec made the Earthwatt. Antec isnt a bad brand at all from feedback from people that have used them. I personally have not ever used one before in a personal machine of mine, but i have seen them in machines I have serviced in the past.

As i said before its probley the PSU.

There is a difference between Boot and power-on. Boot or Booting involves the computer POSTing and "booting into and OS or off of a bootable device." Powering on just means the machine is turning on regardless of if its boots or post.
August 20, 2009 6:31:19 PM

I'd start with the basics. If the RAM is bad, your CPU and case fans should at least start to spin when you turn on the power.

First, make sure all the cables and cards in your computer are plugged in securely.

Then, reset your BIOS. There should be a jumper to reset it (often by the battery), if not, remove the battery for 30 seconds or so.

Come to think of it, find the reset jumper and make sure that the right pins are jumpered. When you have it set on CLEAR BIOS, the motherboard won't allow the system to be powered on.
August 20, 2009 6:33:45 PM

Bad ram will cause a machine to BSOD, or Not Post. Even if u take the RAM out of the DIMM it will still get power and spin fans and blink fancy lights ect...
August 20, 2009 6:35:19 PM

exit2dos said:
I'd start with the basics. If the RAM is bad, your CPU and case fans should at least start to spin when you turn on the power.

First, make sure all the cables and cards in your computer are plugged in securely.

Then, reset your BIOS. There should be a jumper to reset it (often by the battery), if not, remove the battery for 30 seconds or so.

Come to think of it, find the reset jumper and make sure that the right pins are jumpered. When you have it set on CLEAR BIOS, the motherboard won't allow the system to be powered on.

Also a good suggestion. make sure the 24pin power and p4 are seated.
!