Sign in with
Your question

Excruciatingly long boot time

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2011 1:55:15 AM

I am trying to get my boot time much lower and have hit a wall. Right now my system takes over a minute to boot up so that it is usable and, according to Soluto, it takes 2:30 to fully boot! My computer has a 80 GB Intel X25-M SSD as a boot drive, a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB data drive, GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 mobo, 8 GB RAM, and an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz cpu. It is running Win 7 Pro. AHCI is enabled in my BIOS. I have the latest BIOS version, my OS is up to date, and the latest drivers are installed. I could really use some advice on how to get the boot time dropped. I believe it should be around only 30 seconds so there is something really stalling this thing out. HELP! Thanks!
January 11, 2011 2:41:39 PM

Run a scan with "malwarebytes", also you could "WinKey+R" --> type "msconfig" <enter> --> "startup" tab, and disable anything that is non-microsoft, or programs that you do not want to start up right away. **Be very careful, you can render your PC useless if you disable the wrong items...**

I would also pick up ccleaner (clean your registry and PC), and run a chkdsk on c:\. Disable win defrag, and just defrag when you want it to... That crap will run in the background if you do not disable it. Make sure you have min 15% free space, anything less will make you run slow as hell. Move the PageFile over to the other drive.

See if any of those tips help!
m
l
January 11, 2011 2:50:17 PM

I actually had already removed most everything from the msconfig list b4 I posted this :)  I am currently running scans with malwarebytes and will get back to you on that. I run ccleaner regularly but it does not help with this matter. I checked, but defrag was already disabled for the SSD. Also, I have ~ 21% free space on it currently. Will try moving the pagefile to see how that works.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 8:44:08 PM

OK, I moved the pagefile, but that had no effect either! I do have AHCI enabled on my mobo as well. HELP!!!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 13, 2011 11:53:31 PM

Did you load win7 onto the ssd or did you image it from an hdd? There may be an alignment issue.
m
l
January 14, 2011 12:02:02 AM

adampower said:
Did you load win7 onto the ssd or did you image it from an hdd? There may be an alignment issue.

I installed it from a DVD, no image was used.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
January 14, 2011 5:22:07 AM

There are some issues where Windows itself will hang until a timeout occurs if certain conditions occur - this has nothing to do with the SSD at all. I have a USB KVM switch and I suspect it of causing occasional boot timeouts. There was also an issue of a 30- to 60-second pause if you had the desktop background set to a solid colour - this has supposedly been fixed with a patch but if you don't have updates enabled it could still be an issue.
m
l
!