Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I fry my Mobo or CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2009 12:26:31 AM

Ok, here is the background:

I built this PC a year and a half ago. About a month ago my CPU fan died and the CPU ran hot for maybe 3 days (before I noticed anything). I replaced the fan with an Article Cool 7 and the CPU (Q6600) as still at 55C. About a week after replacing the face, I noticed serious graphics problems (8800GTX) in games, with freezing, pixelation, etc.... A week after that, I left my PC on overnight, and the next morning I went to use it but noticed it had turned off. Thinking my wife turned it off, I powered on. It powered on (no boot) and sounded really odd so I did a hard shut off. I turned it on again and boom, nothing. So I realized it was the PSU. I replaced that and the mobo will spin all fans, mobo (MSI P6N SLI) led light turns on, but the PC will not boot, blank screen. I did all the normal stuff, reset bios, reseat everything, tried to boot without ram (no beeps). The only beep I got (more like a squeal) was when I powered on without plugging in the 4pin connectors to the Video Card. I know the monitor works because I am using now as I type this with my laptop plugged in.

So my question to you all, did the PSU dying fry my Mobo or my CPU or both?

System Specs (All stock speeds)

Windows XP w/sp3
Q6600
EVGA 8800GTX
4 GIG (generic ram - it worked before)
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Article Cooler 7 w/Arctic Freeze paste
Ocz 700W Stealth Xtreme PSU

Any idea would be great! Thanks!

More about : fry mobo cpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 1:19:15 AM

Did you remember the 12v atx CPU power? If your sure its all plugged in right its possible the psu blew and took other parts with it.
August 20, 2009 1:31:52 AM

daship said:
Did you remember the 12v atx CPU power? If your sure its all plugged in right its possible the psu blew and took other parts with it.

Yes the ATX power was plugged in completely in all cases.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 2:51:59 AM

It is not uncommon for a faulty power supply to destroy a motherboard, the good news is that it is rare for the CPU to be also destroyed.
m
l
August 20, 2009 9:00:53 AM

Seems like is your motherboard. If you didn't hear any beeps when you took out he ram then is your motherboard.
m
l
August 20, 2009 11:05:35 AM

+1 for motherboard
m
l
August 20, 2009 12:24:53 PM

Thats good news. I have a new MoBo comming tommorrow so I will see if it really is the mobo or the CPU.
m
l
August 20, 2009 12:25:59 PM

Or both...:) 
m
l
August 26, 2009 11:59:50 PM

It was the mobo, I also realized, with the help of you all on another thread, that I had horrible airflow in my case. I got another one today with 5 fans, and everything works great!
m
l
!