DVD Versus Ext Hard drive, which is Faster?

Hello, lets say Ive got 4GB of data to backup, whats faster, burning it to DVD or file transfer to an external hard drive? how much of a speed difference between them?
5 answers Last reply
More about versus hard drive faster
  1. via USB 2.0? External HDD and it will have easy access/ rewritable.
  2. Theoretically, an DVD that can write at 24x would write at about 33MB/s and rare are the external drives that reach 33MB/s so chanced are that the DVD would actually be faster. However, I would rather use an external HDD than a DVD, the medium will last longer, is less damage-prone and it is probably easier to have "incremental" backups on HDDs than DVDs.
  3. The OP didn't specify, but if his external is eSATA, then it is faster than a DVD drive.
  4. Hawkeye22 said:
    The OP didn't specify, but if his external is eSATA, then it is faster than a DVD drive.
    Good point, eSATA, USB 3 and even some NAS might be faster.

Just a though, for 4GB you could probably use a simple USB key, will not be the fastest, but it's cheap and easy to carry (unfortunately also easy to loose or put in the washer/dryer).
  5. USB2 would be faster than writing to a DVD... The average write speed to a DVD is gonna be lower than USB2... I think.

But like Zenthar said, "I would rather use an external HDD than a DVD, the medium will last longer, is less damage-prone and it is probably easier to have "incremental" backups on HDDs than DVDs."
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives DVD External Hard Drive Storage