Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

DVD Versus Ext Hard drive, which is Faster?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • DVD
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2011 4:31:22 AM

Hello, lets say Ive got 4GB of data to backup, whats faster, burning it to DVD or file transfer to an external hard drive? how much of a speed difference between them?

More about : dvd versus ext hard drive faster

January 11, 2011 5:55:21 AM

via USB 2.0? External HDD and it will have easy access/ rewritable.
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 5:17:07 PM

Theoretically, an DVD that can write at 24x would write at about 33MB/s and rare are the external drives that reach 33MB/s so chanced are that the DVD would actually be faster. However, I would rather use an external HDD than a DVD, the medium will last longer, is less damage-prone and it is probably easier to have "incremental" backups on HDDs than DVDs.
Related resources
a c 427 G Storage
January 11, 2011 6:52:23 PM

The OP didn't specify, but if his external is eSATA, then it is faster than a DVD drive.
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 8:02:38 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The OP didn't specify, but if his external is eSATA, then it is faster than a DVD drive.
Good point, eSATA, USB 3 and even some NAS might be faster.

Just a though, for 4GB you could probably use a simple USB key, will not be the fastest, but it's cheap and easy to carry (unfortunately also easy to loose or put in the washer/dryer).
January 11, 2011 8:24:39 PM

USB2 would be faster than writing to a DVD... The average write speed to a DVD is gonna be lower than USB2... I think.

But like Zenthar said, "I would rather use an external HDD than a DVD, the medium will last longer, is less damage-prone and it is probably easier to have "incremental" backups on HDDs than DVDs."