Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to obtain for computer besides main components?

Last response: in Systems
May 16, 2009 4:13:55 AM

This is my first build and first time ordering the components online. I think I know what the main components are that I need to order online, but is there anything else I might be missing, that I should order or obtain for when I am putting together the system?

My main components are:

case: antec p183
core i7 920
asus p6t deluxe v2
geforce gtx 285
corsair 750w tx
g. skill 6GB DDR3 memory
monitor (not yet determined)
1 hard drive
1 optical drive
vista home premium 64-bit OEM

screw driver
bowl for parts

After market components I am aware of and will need to order:

fans that are quieter than stock fans
heatsink and fan for cpu, and thermal paste (better than stock)

Is there anything else such as cables, extra screws, etc?

Thanks
May 16, 2009 4:20:04 AM

It really depends what you want out of your system. A fan controller would be a good idea, but with your case choice you wouldn't be able to put one in. Other than that, cable sleeves would be a good idea for cable management and u-channel molding if you plan to cut the mobo tray for extra cable management.
May 16, 2009 4:42:31 AM

What I want out of my system... I want quiet as well as ease of control over my computer. I am aware of the controller switch on the p183 for the rear and top fan, but if I replace those fans with the most quiet fans, am I still able to use the same switch?

For other fans in the case, why couldn't I buy a fan controller? If I couldn't buy a fan controller, couldn't I still control them from the motherboard? (I'm so new at this part).

cable sleeves, thanks.

as for extra cable management, is cutting the motherboard tray needed? I though it had pretty good management? I know the p180 didn't, though.

Related resources
May 16, 2009 5:00:47 AM

Just get some internal fan controllers, I just favor external. You don't have to cut the mobo tray but it does help alot in terms of cable management. If you want to make yourself a window buy an acrylic sheet, U-channel, and tape (watch mnpctech's video tutorial).
May 16, 2009 6:45:37 AM

Windows 7 RC x64:

You can get this free, it's as stable as Vista then you can buy it probably by Christmas. Don't get Vista at this point when Windows 7 will soon be here. I've tested it, it's awesome in many ways that aren't immediately obvious.

Fans:
You should have:
- a good Heat Sink + 120mm fan for the CPU (and controlled via the motherboard)
- 2x 120mm case fans (as low flow, CFM, as you can. Just to move the hot air out)

Audio?
Yeah, there's onboard audio. I'd get an Auzen X-Fi 7.1 Prelude. For speakers, the M-Audio AV40 ( a little expensive but worth it).
May 16, 2009 4:30:41 PM

Is the 120mm fan for the cpu part of the heatsink/fan combo I am looking for or are you referring to a side fan for the case?
May 16, 2009 4:35:57 PM

@photoboy

I think you've forgotten that win7 is just vista sp2 with some extra's added on so it will be slower than Vista SP2.
!