Your question

Truths or Myths of RAID (0)

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Configuration
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2011 7:12:45 AM

Hello everybody. I hope everyone had a good holiday and I hope all of you have a good New Year.

My question is a RAID question.

I'm getting so many different answers from so many people that I don't know which way is up.

My Question is RAID (0).

First of all, I know that your data isn't safe in a RAID (0) configuration and that if one drive fails, you lose information in both drives.

My question is: Say you have two 600 gb hard drives and put them both in a RAID (0) configuration; and heres the question I'm fighting with everyone about, will I have 1.2 terrabytes of storage or 600 gb of storage.

Some say both drives combined will give you 1.2 terrabytes of storage and others say that both drives together will only give you 600 gb of storage. Data is being split up into two drives and thus you only have 600 gb of storage but with better performance than a drive not in a RAID setup.

What ever the truth behind this is, can you please also include proof of your answer so I can shut those people up and put them in their place about this dumb question.

I was under the impression that two drives in RAID (0) will give you double the capacity. two 600's + RAID (0) = 1.2 terrabytes.

I may be right and I may be wrong. I'll let all of you decide.

Peace to all of you and thank for your time and cooperation in helping me resolve this problem.

More about : truths myths raid

a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 12:17:24 PM

A RAID 0 will stripe data across all drives in the volume. Your total array size would be 1.2tb if you built an array with (2) 600gb drives. Now, there are exceptions to this, but for the most part, RAID 0's will total the size of all drives to make the array. Things like short stroking will result in arrays that don't equal the total size of all drives in the array, but that is very specialized and 99% of people will never set up an array like this.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 12:55:07 PM

cigarjohn said:
...two 600's + RAID (0) = 1.2 terrabytes.

I may be right and I may be wrong.
You are absolutely correct.

cigarjohn said:
What ever the truth behind this is, can you please also include proof of your answer so I can shut those people up and put them in their place about this dumb question.
No proof should be necessary for putting those people in their place as this is basic RAID knowledge. Tell them to do a google search for themselves and that you do not need to prove anything to folks who are that ignorant.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2011 3:13:34 PM

Just concurring with the above. Tell the them experts at THG all agree!
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:38:55 PM

I want to thak all of you answering my question. Thats why I love Tom's Hardware website. All the smart and knowledge trusted people can be found here.

Peace and have a good year.
m
l
!