Best Time to Buy a Laptop

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 7:28:43 AM

Hi,

I am currently considering buying a laptop, which probably would be of much
use after graduation. I'm currently a happy owner of Dell 8200 desktop which
I'm thinking of upgrading foreseeing a future of heavy digital video
editing. The laptop only needs to have minimum features since the attraction
is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and a
decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate however,
I'm only willing to shell out around $700.

1) Should I buy the laptop now, considering the tons of deals in Dell and
HP/Compaq? Would the deals appear around May ("New Graduates" sale)? What is
the best time (before Independence Day) to buy a new laptop?

2) The cheap Inspiron 1100 line in Dell ($699) features an Intel Celeron 2.4
GHz processor. Apparently, I have been warned to avoid Celeron processors,
despite the advertised speed. HP/Compaq features an AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz
for the same price ($699). Is the Athlon one good? Should I wait for the
price of laptops featuring Pentium 4 to drop?

3) Is there any improvement/development on the horizon that I should wait
for before rushing out to the store, so that I can get the "best bang for
the buck" ?

Thank you.

More about : time buy laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 7:58:16 AM

"Hasnor Lot" <hasnor_lot81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am currently considering buying a laptop, which probably would be of
much
> use after graduation. I'm currently a happy owner of Dell 8200 desktop
which
> I'm thinking of upgrading foreseeing a future of heavy digital video
> editing. The laptop only needs to have minimum features since the
attraction
> is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and a
> decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate however,
> I'm only willing to shell out around $700.
>
> 1) Should I buy the laptop now, considering the tons of deals in Dell and
> HP/Compaq? Would the deals appear around May ("New Graduates" sale)? What
is
> the best time (before Independence Day) to buy a new laptop?
>
> 2) The cheap Inspiron 1100 line in Dell ($699) features an Intel Celeron
2.4
> GHz processor. Apparently, I have been warned to avoid Celeron processors,
> despite the advertised speed. HP/Compaq features an AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz
> for the same price ($699). Is the Athlon one good? Should I wait for the
> price of laptops featuring Pentium 4 to drop?
>
> 3) Is there any improvement/development on the horizon that I should wait
> for before rushing out to the store, so that I can get the "best bang for
> the buck" ?

a) There is (almost) never a best time to
buy a laptop, since prices keep going
down, while features and performance
keep improving. If you wait a little
while, the laptop one can buy today at a
given price will sell for a little less.

b) The new Dothan Pentium M's with 2MB L2
cache should start showing up in 1-2
monhs at clock rates from 1.7 GHz to
2.2 GHz. The 2x larger L2 cache is
worth waiting for a month or two.

c) The only known exception to a) is the
time when new Intel processor lines
are released -- usually this causes
price drops and deeper discounting
of not quite technically obsolete
products using the previous line of
processors. In about 2 months, most
if not all current Centrino products
(1MB cache and 1.4GHz-1.7GHz clocks,
or 1.0GHz-1.3GHz ULV) should drop
$200-$300 in price (especially the
lower clock rates) as the Dothan
line products start showing up.

Hope this helps.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 8:08:41 AM

The Celeron (or AMD) both ought to be fine for "minimum features". In fact,
the Celeron probably runs cooler and gets better battery life than the P4
which you mention, which is not too popular with many of the folks who value
portability.

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Hasnor Lot" <hasnor_lot81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am currently considering buying a laptop, which probably would be of
> much
> > use after graduation. I'm currently a happy owner of Dell 8200 desktop
> which
> > I'm thinking of upgrading foreseeing a future of heavy digital video
> > editing. The laptop only needs to have minimum features since the
> attraction
> > is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and
> > decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate
however,
> > I'm only willing to shell out around $700.
> >
> > 1) Should I buy the laptop now, considering the tons of deals in Dell
and
> > HP/Compaq? Would the deals appear around May ("New Graduates" sale)?
What
> is
> > the best time (before Independence Day) to buy a new laptop?
> >
> > 2) The cheap Inspiron 1100 line in Dell ($699) features an Intel Celeron
> 2.4
> > GHz processor. Apparently, I have been warned to avoid Celeron
processors,
> > despite the advertised speed. HP/Compaq features an AMD Athlon XP 1.8
GHz
> > for the same price ($699). Is the Athlon one good? Should I wait for the
> > price of laptops featuring Pentium 4 to drop?
> >
> > 3) Is there any improvement/development on the horizon that I should
wait
> > for before rushing out to the store, so that I can get the "best bang
for
> > the buck" ?
> >

> a) There is (almost) never a best time to
> buy a laptop, since prices keep going
> down, while features and performance
> keep improving. If you wait a little
> while, the laptop one can buy today at a
> given price will sell for a little less.
>
> b) The new Dothan Pentium M's with 2MB L2
> cache should start showing up in 1-2
> monhs at clock rates from 1.7 GHz to
> 2.2 GHz. The 2x larger L2 cache is
> worth waiting for a month or two.
>
> c) The only known exception to a) is the
> time when new Intel processor lines
> are released -- usually this causes
> price drops and deeper discounting
> of not quite technically obsolete
> products using the previous line of
> processors. In about 2 months, most
> if not all current Centrino products
> (1MB cache and 1.4GHz-1.7GHz clocks,
> or 1.0GHz-1.3GHz ULV) should drop
> $200-$300 in price (especially the
> lower clock rates) as the Dothan
> line products start showing up.
>

> Hope this helps.
>

> dk

a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 10:20:19 AM

After working with computers
for almost 30 years as a super
heavy duty, professional systems
software developer, I can reassure
you that *NOTHING* improves performance
for a given amount of money as *LARGER*
*CACHES*.

Life is too short to use Celerons.

dk

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
news:D Z4cc.16184$lt2.2224@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> [...]
> > > for the same price ($699). Is the Athlon one good? Should I wait for
the
> > > price of laptops featuring Pentium 4 to drop?
> > >
> > > 3) Is there any improvement/development on the horizon that I should
> wait
> > > for before rushing out to the store, so that I can get the "best bang
> for
> > > the buck" ?
> > >

> > a) There is (almost) never a best time to
> > buy a laptop, since prices keep going
> > down, while features and performance
> > keep improving. If you wait a little
> > while, the laptop one can buy today at a
> > given price will sell for a little less.
> >
> > b) The new Dothan Pentium M's with 2MB L2
> > cache should start showing up in 1-2
> > monhs at clock rates from 1.7 GHz to
> > 2.2 GHz. The 2x larger L2 cache is
> > worth waiting for a month or two.
> >
> > c) The only known exception to a) is the

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 10:20:20 AM

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<4070fa9c$1@news.meer.net>...
> After working with computers
> for almost 30 years as a super
> heavy duty, professional systems
> software developer, I can reassure
> you that *NOTHING* improves performance
> for a given amount of money as *LARGER*
> *CACHES*.
>
> Life is too short to use Celerons.

Maybe so but with his price range at $700 or so a AMD or Celeron is
what he will be looking at.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 3:27:10 PM

In the $700 price range, who is saying no Celeron processor? In that price
range, do you like Pentium3-m better?

Sam's and Walmart had something similar if that interests you.

Before you settle on a low end machine, I would buy a 3 year extended
warranty. Averatec is not my personal favorite, but it is an attractive
price and 3 year warranty is $55. But I'm a Costco and Sam's fan

"Hasnor Lot" <hasnor_lot81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and a
> decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate however,
> I'm only willing to shell out around $700.
April 5, 2004 5:24:56 PM

"Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<iobcc.16524$lt2.6026@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> In the $700 price range, who is saying no Celeron processor? In that price
> range, do you like Pentium3-m better?
>
> Sam's and Walmart had something similar if that interests you.
>
> Before you settle on a low end machine, I would buy a 3 year extended
> warranty. Averatec is not my personal favorite, but it is an attractive
> price and 3 year warranty is $55. But I'm a Costco and Sam's fan
>
> "Hasnor Lot" <hasnor_lot81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and a
> > decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate however,
> > I'm only willing to shell out around $700.

"foreseeing a future of heavy digital video editing." was stated in
the original msg... You need to be carefull when selecting laptop to
do video editing as it requires more memory, more hard drive and most
likely a firewire port. They have some suggestions on
http://www.omamia.com/best-laptops.html

Slow Celerons would be my last choice for video editing.
I also agree with other posters that there is never a 'good' time to
buy a laptop... but there are 'better' times, and now it is one of the
better times to buy Dell, for example - Dell's prices dropped as much
as $200 for the last few weeks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 7:35:09 PM

"JEP" <no_spam_here34474@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > After working with computers
> > for almost 30 years as a super
> > heavy duty, professional systems
> > software developer, I can reassure
> > you that *NOTHING* improves performance
> > for a given amount of money as *LARGER*
> > *CACHES*.
> >
> > Life is too short to use Celerons.
> >

> Maybe so but with his price range at
> $700 or so a AMD or Celeron is what
> he will be looking at.

If we wait another year or two, 3GHz
P4 systems will get to that price ;-)

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 8:06:40 PM

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<4070fa9c$1@news.meer.net>...
> After working with computers
> for almost 30 years as a super
> heavy duty, professional systems
> software developer, I can reassure
> you that *NOTHING* improves performance
> for a given amount of money as *LARGER*
> *CACHES*.

I guess you've never upgraded your main system RAM.

Give me a Celeron with 512MB over a P-M with 128 or even 256MB any day of the week.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2004 1:20:55 AM

The best time is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The 2nd best time
is in late July and August (back-to-school). But that would mean
waiting a LONG time. Many schools have "deals" (contracts) with ONE
laptop maker and have an on-campus "store" for that vendor's products,
in some cases you can get fantastic deals (and, some schools all but
require you to use that brand if you want any kind of support from the
school). So, take all of that into account, but that doen't mean that
you can't find a good deal right now.

Hasnor Lot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently considering buying a laptop, which probably would be of much
> use after graduation. I'm currently a happy owner of Dell 8200 desktop which
> I'm thinking of upgrading foreseeing a future of heavy digital video
> editing. The laptop only needs to have minimum features since the attraction
> is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive, and a
> decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate however,
> I'm only willing to shell out around $700.
>
> 1) Should I buy the laptop now, considering the tons of deals in Dell and
> HP/Compaq? Would the deals appear around May ("New Graduates" sale)? What is
> the best time (before Independence Day) to buy a new laptop?
>
> 2) The cheap Inspiron 1100 line in Dell ($699) features an Intel Celeron 2.4
> GHz processor. Apparently, I have been warned to avoid Celeron processors,
> despite the advertised speed. HP/Compaq features an AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz
> for the same price ($699). Is the Athlon one good? Should I wait for the
> price of laptops featuring Pentium 4 to drop?
>
> 3) Is there any improvement/development on the horizon that I should wait
> for before rushing out to the store, so that I can get the "best bang for
> the buck" ?
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2004 7:56:42 AM

"Joe" <infogate@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In the $700 price range, who is saying no Celeron processor? In that
price
> > range, do you like Pentium3-m better?
> >
> > Sam's and Walmart had something similar if that interests you.
> >
> > Before you settle on a low end machine, I would buy a 3 year extended
> > warranty. Averatec is not my personal favorite, but it is an attractive
> > price and 3 year warranty is $55. But I'm a Costco and Sam's fan
> >
> > "Hasnor Lot" <hasnor_lot81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is mainly its mobility; 20 GB of HD space, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW drive,
and a
> > > decent processor would be okay. Being an incorrigible cheapskate
however,
> > > I'm only willing to shell out around $700.
>
> "foreseeing a future of heavy digital video editing." was stated in
> the original msg... You need to be carefull when selecting laptop to
> do video editing as it requires more memory, more hard drive and most
> likely a firewire port. They have some suggestions on
> http://www.omamia.com/best-laptops.html
>
> Slow Celerons would be my last choice for video editing.
> I also agree with other posters that there is never a 'good' time to
> buy a laptop... but there are 'better' times, and now it is one of the
> better times to buy Dell, for example - Dell's prices dropped as much
> as $200 for the last few weeks.

I read the original message as saying the video editing was going to be on a
desktop and the laptop didn't have to do a lot:

!