Just a quick questions on a upgrade..

ARment

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I am currently running two Nivida 7800GTX video cards.

I want to upgrade my video cards. I just want to know what I am able to run on this current setup.

I have a AM2 Socket x2 4800 with a Asus M2N SLI Deluxe with 2 gig memory.

My current PSU is a CoolMax AP550x. Any suggestions on what I can get for it to be a upgrade from what I got? I don't have a budget so please let me know. Thank you in advance.

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
You can run any single card you want.
As far as dual-card setups you are only able to SLI on that motherboard and not crossfire.

Posting more specs on your computer (processor, resolution you game at, RAM etc...) will allow people here to do a much better job of helping you pick the right card though.

I would suggest you go with a single nvidia card so that if you ever want to upgrade you will just need to buy a 2nd one and put them in SLI. (PSU permitting, of course)

A pretty cheap, but still powerfull solution, is probably the 9800gtx. You can pick this one up for $114 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150341

If you want to go more high-end, the 275gtx is a good one. Here's one for $229:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187073

The only problem with SLIing both of these is probably your PSU. You can handle 1 of these cards, but you will probably need a new power supply if you want to add another...

Good luck

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I REALLY don't think buying a GTX 275 is the best idea with an AMD 4800

Litex can you please not go recommending cards without getting the proper info such as what coozie asked for....i mean a 275gtx is hardly worth it if this guy is gaming below 1680x1050 and even at 1680x1050 a 9800gtx+ or similar would do pretty swell...

Most likely he is running on 1280x1024 or similar...

I would recommend a way faster AMD X2 upgrade...but it would probably be alot smarter to just deal with your 7800gtx's atm and save up enough for a new single card and new ram+cpu+mobo....

@ ARment: If you are running at 16x12 you'll be seeing memory limits, it's a shame you (like me) did n't get the 512Mb cards or the soloution to your problem would be to stay where you are unless you HAVE to have DX10.
Your current MB actually supports most, if not all the existing AMD CPUs' including quads:

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=szSFtrap7crpBaQE

You may need a BIOS flash for compatability with later CPUs' and I have no idea how badly the later processors would be limited by a AM2 motherboard with its reduced HT speeds...Any ideas guys?

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Ah, sorry, I didn't see he had his cpu and ram up there. That's why i asked for more specs, like the CPU. I need to start paying more attention.

ARment

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
So should i just go with getting a whole new setup? or get one of the said mention cards? My budget is very high so..

@ ARment: I've started a thread on the 'CPU and components' Forum to see if anyone there knows whether a faster processor (which you board will support) will be slowed by its chipset.
Money may be around now, but it has a habit of vanishing and I see no reason to suggest upgrades you do not need.
For now: I'd say get a GTX260, it should be a bit faster than your current setup, it's not too expensive, will run on any MB and your existing PSU.