Sign in with
Your question

Faulty i7 920?

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2009 2:22:55 AM

I purchased my computer from ibuypower. Intel i7 920, Asus PT6 SE, 6 gigs of Corsair DDR3, 800 watt ATX power supply, Radeon 4890, originally with a V8 cooler master. I received it two weeks ago I started loading windows when a bios cpu overheat warning popped up. Checked the V8 two screws beneath the V8 were broken and was getting little contact with the cpu. Fixed it with new screws, got it snug and loaded windows.

Idile temps were high 44-45C. Played gta 4 and recorded temps with core temp and it showed temps ranging from 72-87C. So i tried prime 95, and temps soared into the high 90's C quickly. Shut the program down, it never came close to 100% load. Set up a return for the V8.

Being impatient I dropped 65 bucks on a termaltake heat sink at a store, (a nice one not sure what model). reseated the cpu, new thermal paste. Idled at 38-40C, I thought great! Tried prime95 and to my disappointment it rose in the 90's without coming close to 100% load.

What is going on here? Is there anything worth adjusting in bios? I'm also considering checking the cpu to see if it's flat or not, and if isn't flat should I try lapping it? Also I could just return the darned thing.

I need everyone's expertise on this one. Thanks!

More about : faulty 920

August 20, 2009 3:20:27 AM

I would first manually set the CPU voltage to 1.2 in the BIOS to see if load temps change at all.
August 20, 2009 4:03:02 AM

Thanks Spinny-

Well I set the CPU voltage to 1.2 and it came up in windows idling at 50C, did an intel burn test 5 rounds and it never reached 90C. Highest temp was 87C. It has never been able to make it through 2 rounds without going high 90'sC and me needing to stop the test.

All in all it liked that. Still these temps are high? Any more suggestions?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 4:45:35 AM

You can have the biggest, baddest CPU heatsink in the world and it won't do much good if you don't have good airflow through your case. What kind of fans do you have, how fast are they running, where are they located, and what direction are they blowing in?
August 20, 2009 5:14:00 AM

Hey sminlal-

Thermaltake V9 mid tower.

1 top fan 230mm blowing out.
2 120mm fans, 1 in the front blowing in, and 1 in the back blowing out.

It should be and feels cool in the case.

After things have calmed down a bit, it is idling at 45-46C. Still it does seem like this should run cooler. Are there any more settings I should look at? Or something to investigate?
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 6:00:03 AM

To little or to much thermal paste!!!!!!!!!! Send it back Im sure it has warranty.
August 20, 2009 6:16:39 AM

I put on a little less than pea size. Is it possible that it would need more? Otherwise I will send it back I guess.

Thanks daship
August 20, 2009 6:40:27 AM

petedog69 said:
Thanks Spinny-

Well I set the CPU voltage to 1.2 and it came up in windows idling at 50C, did an intel burn test 5 rounds and it never reached 90C. Highest temp was 87C. It has never been able to make it through 2 rounds without going high 90'sC and me needing to stop the test.

All in all it liked that. Still these temps are high? Any more suggestions?

ASUS's BIOS is notoriously known for automatically overvolting the CPU. You should reduce your Vcore to lower than 1.15V, or even 1.10V. I'm running at 3.2Ghz with 1.15V, so you should do much better than that at stock.

a c 172 à CPUs
August 20, 2009 7:12:40 AM

Yes. Good advice. Do not run your CPU voltage on AUTO. Find the VID value and set it to that. Then, if you are not going to OC, start working your voltage downward while testing for stability.
August 20, 2009 8:16:45 AM

WOW!! I dropped the voltage from 1.2 to 1.15 first; good results!

44-46C idle. Did an Intel burn test and it never broke 75C!

Should I play with it and try 1.10v?
Oh, one factor i messed with was turbo tech, I disabled it. Would that have played a part in better load temps?

Hey thanks again!

Add on:

I thought I had a s**** processor for so long and all it needed was a diaper change.

I put it at 1.10v, re-enabled turbo mode just becuase, and this time it never got above 70C.

I am so happy :)  I even cracked a beer, and it's 4am WTF!!! haha

Thanks to everyone on this thread- cheers!
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 3:58:53 PM

petedog69 said:

Thermaltake V9 mid tower.
1 top fan 230mm blowing out.
2 120mm fans, 1 in the front blowing in, and 1 in the back blowing out.
Yep, that seems pretty reasonable. My case fans are very similar and at an ambient temperature of around 23C my i7 heatspreader temperature stays below 60C using a ThermalRight HR-01 heatsink and a 120mm fan on auto.
August 20, 2009 5:56:43 PM

Glad to hear you got that fixed, that would really bug me too if my I7 ran at those temps.
!