What are the cable connectors/port things on the long silver metal par

loilfad08

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
What are those cable things used for on a PCI graphics card.
E.g.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/2d/74/c92e_1.JPG

On this graphics card there is one blue connector thingy with holes in it, which I think is for some cable (excuse me for my lack of computer literacy). What is the cable port and the cable used for? And is the cable necessary for the graphics card to work in a computer, or is it just for connecting it to a tv or something --> I don't really know. Just wanna know if the port has to be used, or whether it can be left empty and still will work in a computer in a PCI slot.

Thanks.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Thats called a VGA port and on older graphics cards they are quite common...most new cards use a dvi and or DVI-I port....

Yeah what you will do is plug your card in and use the vga out on it...you have to use its vga out if you want to use the card..

And im sure in some way or fashion you could have googled this....

You did admit you where pretty computer illiterate which by god you indeed are...so what are you buying or have bought exactly and what are you trying to do?

You need to make sure this card are going to do what you want it to do...if you want gaming you should be buying a pcie card....so get a little more specific before you have to return something...