Sign in with
Your question

Lots of questions! Please help

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2009 4:03:17 AM

Sorry, i couldn't find the right forum section, but this is somewhat related to CPUs

I'm spending $1200 on a new system soon and i just wanted some input

Would you rather go

AMD 955 BE + 4 gb 1333 + a LG 22'' monitor + XFX 4870 XXX 1gb

or

Intel Core i7 920 + 6gb 1333 + XFX 4870 XXX 1gb

Basically, should i go amd with a better monitor? or should i go i7 with no monitor?

Right now, i have a 1280 x 1024 and a 1440 x 900. I feel buying another monitor is kinda pointless since i have two already, but they are lower end. ( One LG one Dell )

Another question,

Is it better to get one video card now, ( EX: gtx 260 core 216 ) and in 3 years, add another one? ( gtx 260 core 216 )
Or is it better to get one video card now, ( EX: 4870 1gb ), and in 3 years, buy another single graphics card? ( I don't know what graphic cards will be out in 3 years :p  )

If you think it's better to just SLI in the future, i might change my I7 build from an ATI card to a Nvidia card. But if you prefer one powerful card over two older ones, i think i'll go ATI right now. I found the XFX 4870 XXX edition 1gb online for $134 and i think thats a steal.

More about : lots questions

a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 4:23:57 AM

jchan said:
Sorry, i couldn't find the right forum section, but this is somewhat related to CPUs

I'm spending $1200 on a new system soon and i just wanted some input

Would you rather go

AMD 955 BE + 4 gb 1333 + a LG 22'' monitor + XFX 4870 XXX 1gb

or

Intel Core i7 920 + 6gb 1333 + XFX 4870 XXX 1gb

Basically, should i go amd with a better monitor? or should i go i7 with no monitor?

Right now, i have a 1280 x 1024 and a 1440 x 900. I feel buying another monitor is kinda pointless since i have two already, but they are lower end. ( One LG one Dell )

Another question,

Is it better to get one video card now, ( EX: gtx 260 core 216 ) and in 3 years, add another one? ( gtx 260 core 216 )
Or is it better to get one video card now, ( EX: 4870 1gb ), and in 3 years, buy another single graphics card? ( I don't know what graphic cards will be out in 3 years :p  )

If you think it's better to just SLI in the future, i might change my I7 build from an ATI card to a Nvidia card. But if you prefer one powerful card over two older ones, i think i'll go ATI right now. I found the XFX 4870 XXX edition 1gb online for $134 and i think thats a steal.

Well, I would go with the new monitor because its sounds like your current one is kinda lame. If that means AMD for you then that's the route I would go, but I like to support the little guy anyway.

I would just go with your personal preference and find a way to fit a new monitor in. There are plenty of folks here who will tell you that core i7 is faster (and it is), but if you are building a mid range system than I doubt 20 frames per second is gonna be a big deal to you.

If you're going to only make video card purchases every 3 years, sli doesn't make a lot of sense. Get the most powerful card you can afford and see how long it holds up with the games you wanna play. I have an HD 4850 and I can play anything I want. But for how long? tough to say. Prolly for another 18 months or so.
m
l
August 20, 2009 4:26:24 AM

if you're planning on having money in the future, go with the i7.....then you can buy the monitor
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 4:33:56 AM

I will give you my input on the video card. I would suggest getting the most powerful single video card that you can afford now and figure on getting another new one in 3 -4 years as by then the most powerful video card now will be about 30-50% as fast as the one you can afford then.

Although it might be possible to SLI 2 or 3 of them together to get much better performance (only in some cases) it will run hotter and less efficient than the new card.

I basically went thru this with the 8800GTX cards. I had one, I bought 2 more on ebay and tri-sli'd and it was great but the heat was unbearable.

I got 1 GTX 275 and sold my 3 8800GTX cards and still had 130 bucks left over. You can say I did ok and basically I think I did but what I paid on my power bill for the duration of the time I ran them broke me even, maybe.

My 2 cents...
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 4:38:45 AM

Englandr has it right, very good advice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 5:56:19 AM

I agree get i7 now. Monitor will be sub $200 add on later. I7 later will be another $800-$900. If you dont get i7 now your gonna wish you did and your gonna want to upgrade real soon.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 11:45:31 AM

daship said:
I agree get i7 now. Monitor will be sub $200 add on later. I7 later will be another $800-$900. If you dont get i7 now your gonna wish you did and your gonna want to upgrade real soon.

If your budget will allow you to go that route I agree. The faster gpu you can get to go with this later will shine more with the more powerful cpu. If you are stuck with this system for a while it will reveal its benefits near its eol (end of life).

Both would be great systems but you will get an edge going i7 now...
m
l
August 20, 2009 1:24:28 PM

yeah thats what i thought. I currently have a 7 year old desktop and it served me well. I'm making a giant jump from a single core to an i7 lol. So i'm hoping this new system lasts me another 7 years or so.

I think i will just bear with the monitors for now. I think i7 and a single powerful gpu is the way to go =]

One last question :p 

Should i just order all the parts now? A lot of the parts have 20% Bing Cashback from ewiz.com, and when i order when Win 7 is out, the special 20% Bing CB will be gone.

I'm only like a month or two away from Win 7 release.... so question is: Order now with 20% cashback? Or take the risk and order 1/2 months from now and hope there are good new egg deals?
m
l
!