Sign in with
Your question

Best desktop RAID rig for throughput and safety?

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2011 4:03:41 PM

Greetings,
I want to know the latest and greatest rig for RAID throughput AND safety on a desktop.

I built a system last year that used WD Enterprise drives on a Gigabyte X58 UD7 mobo using the Intel ICH10R Southbridge hardware RAID controllers for RAID 10. It's OK but not as responsive as I'd like, and the buggy Intel drivers are driving me nuts.

I'm getting ready to build a new one. I want to get away from Intel RAID control, and I want fast performance, and I still want mirroring for safety.

I'm looking at the mobos with the Marvell SE9130 controllers for SATA3. I don't want to spend more than $1000 on the storage end of things and I need about 1TB. Anyone have experience with the Marvell HyperDuo drivers combining SSD and HDD? Should I switch to a PCI RAID controller card? What's the best way to go?
January 11, 2011 5:54:42 PM

Hi hullflyer and welcome to Tom's forum.

The best way is buy a RAID card and use RAID 5
January 12, 2011 1:25:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. which raid card is best for desktop? What about SATA3 or SAS?
Related resources
January 12, 2011 4:10:56 PM

it's hard to say what RAID level is best without knowing what it will be used for. For a database, especially transaction or with a lot of writing, RAID 10 would be much better than 5. For games or something with a lot of reading, 5 could be better.
January 12, 2011 4:22:53 PM

SATA3 (if you refer to 6Gb/s) work with pretty similar speed, but SAS gives your more advantage (hot plug and those stuffs), but also give you more "problems" when you want find a compatible component or big drive.
January 12, 2011 6:04:39 PM

this machine will be for desktop apps, including MS Office, audio encoding, video editing, programming, web browsing, accounting, etc. Probably not a whole lot of database work as a percent of the total load. I'm considering splitting the OS from the data, so maybe C:\ drive is SSD in RAID 0? and the data on D:\ is HDD on RAID 5? Using a controller card? The Marvell HyperDuo idea is intriguing, though. Recommendations?
January 13, 2011 1:07:46 AM

RAID 0 is not a good idea for an OS and less in SSD. If you want be safe, go with mirror.
January 13, 2011 11:30:04 AM

A single SSD for an OS drive should perform very well. Just make an image backup of your boot volume every so often. (well, back everything up that you can't afford to lose).
January 13, 2011 3:29:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys. This is an area of relative ignorance for me. Right now I'm leaning toward a single SSD for OS and SATA3 RAID5 on controller card with 3 HDDs, if I can afford it. I've got some shopping and research to do.
!