Toshiba satlite pro P25 problems

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 12:41:38 AM

hi,

first up, I can't stand manufacturers who suppply "recovery disks",
instead of the real software.

I am having major mega stability problems with this machine. All that
I have done is to use Partition Magic to create some additional
paritions for data, etc, which fit better into my backup scheme than a
single 80gB parition.

After that I reinstalled into an 11gB C:\patition but, even without
adding any other s/w, other than all outstanding windows update
patches, and without removing any of the stuff which I don't want,
like MSN, AOL, etc, the system spotaneously blue screens & reboots, or
black-screens and can't be restarted without removing the battery &
mains cable. This occurs at random time intervals and not consistently
when performing the same action.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? All that I can
think of is to let the recovery disk trash my partitions & go back to
one 80gB partition but, of course, that _should_ make no difference.

I don't want to think hardware fault as I bought it in Hong Kong 3
weeks ago, am currently in Shanghai, and leave for Norway on Friday,
so trying to get anyone to agree to look at it would be a nightmare
:-(

I also have an unused copy of windowx xp pro which I am considering
installing, to see if that will make any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help ....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 3:32:06 PM

Hi Plugh!,

Which version of PartitionMagic did you use? I tried using v5 and ran into all kinds of stability problems. I went out an bought
v7, and it has worked fine on two different WinXPhe machines.

Ciao . . .
C.Joseph

++ Let know man judge me until . . .
he has walked the road I have . . .
in the shoes I've worn. ++

http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

Plugh! wrote:
> hi,
>
> first up, I can't stand manufacturers who suppply "recovery disks",
> instead of the real software.
>
> I am having major mega stability problems with this machine. All that
> I have done is to use Partition Magic to create some additional
> paritions for data, etc, which fit better into my backup scheme than a
> single 80gB parition.
>
> After that I reinstalled into an 11gB C:\patition but, even without
> adding any other s/w, other than all outstanding windows update
> patches, and without removing any of the stuff which I don't want,
> like MSN, AOL, etc, the system spotaneously blue screens & reboots, or
> black-screens and can't be restarted without removing the battery &
> mains cable. This occurs at random time intervals and not consistently
> when performing the same action.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? All that I can
> think of is to let the recovery disk trash my partitions & go back to
> one 80gB partition but, of course, that _should_ make no difference.
>
> I don't want to think hardware fault as I bought it in Hong Kong 3
> weeks ago, am currently in Shanghai, and leave for Norway on Friday,
> so trying to get anyone to agree to look at it would be a nightmare
> :-(
>
> I also have an unused copy of windowx xp pro which I am considering
> installing, to see if that will make any difference.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help ....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 10:45:34 PM

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<40719947_7@news.athenanews.com>...
> Hi Plugh!,
>
> Which version of PartitionMagic did you use? I tried using v5 and ran into all kinds of stability problems. I went out an bought
> v7, and it has worked fine on two different WinXPhe machines.

V8 - Partition Magic isn't the problem - just the instability of
Windows XP (Home), which I never encountered on other machines (using
xp pro).

thanks for taking the time to reply.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2004 1:24:21 PM

Hi Plugh!,

Could you tell us more about this instability. I have been using WinXPhe on a couple of computers for the last two years with no
major issues.

!