SSD - Intel 510 (Elm Crest) 120GB
HDD - 1TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R
RAM - G.SKILL RipJaw X 8GB
Case - CoolerMaster HAF X
UPS - CyberPower 900W

My OC target is:

CPU @ 4.6 GHz
RAM @ 1866 MHz (8-8-8-#-2) <-- would like 1T but fine with 2T

The deal is, i've been having so much trouble getting a stable OC. I have no experience OC and this last week has been fun but pretty hectic.

100 BLCK w/ 45x gets me up and running but during Prime95 Small FTT it crashes within 10 minutes.
I lowered it to 44x and Prime lasted me 8 hours A-OK.

I tried messing around with settings to get my RAM to 1866MHz. It worked with what I remember was a 1.6v, but I messed up on another setting and got lost with what I did so I had to rest the BIOS settings. (Sigh). At this point NOTHING worked. I couldn't put the Turbo Multiplier to 44. I tried and tried to mess around but nothing...so I reset it again. I did the Auto Tuning, set it to Extreme, and let it do its rebooting, but to my surprise it couldn't even load the BIOS. I mean it kept trying, rebooting itself but failed and tried again, and again, until I just stopped it and powered it up myself. It started up fine, so I let the Auto Tuning keep going. It took me to its so called stable setting.

103.0 BLCK w/ 44 so basically 4.5GHz which made say "not this again". To double check, I ran Prime95 and again it crashed within 10 minutes, so I lowered it to 43x. Ran Prime for about 30min just to get the feel and everything is good so far.

Now I would like to know what can I do to reach my target. If my CPU can't go higher than fine, but what about my RAM. My RAM is rated at 1600MHz @ 1.5V (8-8-8-24)

Heres the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

Now, I could not get it to reach 1866MHz (BLCK at 100) even with a maximum recommended DRAM Volt and 1.65V :fou:

I know I am so not experienced at this, so I just decided to ask a community who is.

What settings do I HAVE to changed to even think of OC.

Now the thing is, I've tried searching up guides, but I honestly feel way to uncomfortable because they either are not dealing with my CPU and MOBO setup...or they just expect that I (the reviewer) knows a thing or two about OC, which I don't :cry:

So please can I get some help! :)

Also, I would like to put out there that at 4.4 GHz my CPU temp on Prime runs up to 74 C...is this anywhere near normal? I feel like its not. I would expect a lot lower. At Idle its at 40 C :eek:

Sorry if this post is long and doesn't make any sense, but I'm super tired + frustrated at the moment, so again please accept my apology for this inconvenience!

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
You have just got a bad chip?

I was doing some reading in regards to the SB 2600k where with some tests they figure only about 50% of the chips will reach 4.4 ghz or go higher. It's possible the batch you got has a ceiling lower than other batches.

@vice4tech

Now I would like to know what can I do to reach my target. If my CPU can't go higher than fine, but what about my RAM. My RAM is rated at 1600MHz @ 1.5V (8-8-8-24)

Heres the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231445

Now, I could not get it to reach 1866MHz (BLCK at 100) even with a maximum recommended DRAM Volt and 1.65V

What possibly made you think you were going to buy 1600mhz memory and overclock it to 1866mhz, that will blow you clean out of the overclock ballpark when raising a CPU multiplier to overclock.

You will not do anything but spin your wheels trying to overclock like that.

****************************************************************************************************

Here's what you need to do, it's very simple.

Set your memory manually to 1600mhz @ 1.5v (8,8,8,24) as the specs list.

Disable every Intel CPU feature in your BIOS except Thermal Throttling, leave Thermal Throttling enabled and if you have a BIOS feature to enable all 4 Cores enable that.

Then discover through trial and error booting and rebooting the exact Vcore voltage required to run a certain multiplier stably, you won't have to be concerned that the memory is producing errors as the memory will be set to stock speeds.

You'll only be concerned with am I supplying enough voltage to run the selected multiplier, if you want to run a 45x multiplier it will take a certain amount of voltage for the CPU to run it, if you run a 46x it will take more voltage than the 45X did.

It's actually very simple.

I have no experience OC and this last week has been fun but pretty hectic.

Obviously! Leave the Base Clock at 100.

It's best to learn first then do, or you'll have some scrap parts for your first overclocking lesson learned, the hard way!