Sign in with
Your question

Pc keeps shutting itself off!! HELP

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2009 7:20:43 AM

I dont exactly know where to post this but ill just post it here. i just bought a new pc build, it was fine for a week, Then my computer keeps shutting itself off like the power went out. A few second after it reboot itself. sometime its having hard time rebooting itself and just turn itself off again, and i can hear like multiple crackly noise (not beeps) when it tries to reboot itself.

More about : shutting

August 20, 2009 9:03:23 AM

i think i found the problem im curious about. my cpu cooler bracket is touching the metal mobo frame of the case. i have spacer screws to prevent mobo touching the metal frame. but it doesnt stop m cpu cooler bracket from touching it. which i think its causing shorting problem.

August 20, 2009 9:41:29 AM

The bracket shouldn't be causing a short, unless it's shorting on the motherboard already.

To me it sounds like a bad PSU. But what i'd suggest you do first is breadboard the computer outside the case on some cardboard, or other none conductive material. That should eliminate the possibility of the case shorting out your computer.

If the problem persists i'd blame the PSU. I had a similar issue not that long ago, and it was my PSU.

PS: Because this post is potentially related to a PSU issue i'd like to inform any potential readers of my recent experiences with Silverstone. I'd like to apologize in advance for potentially hi-jacking the OP's thread. You do not have to reply to this part of my message. All i ask is you read and take note.

SHORT: Stay clear, don't waste you time or money.

LONG: I've already returned one PSU, the Decathlon 750 once already without much trouble at all. Other then the fact i got smacked with the brokerage fee on the new unit they sent me. Silverstone seems to think they're above the consumer, and they don't care about there customer service. They didn't even take the time to punctuate or capitalize any of their e-mails. Needless to say, the replacement unit was also bunk. And they're refusing to cover shipping or brokerage, just shipping one way. In my mind this is total crap, i've already spent $120 troubleshooting their junk. Might i add, over a month of computer downtime, had my mobo replaced as part of troubleshooting the second PSU, and countless hours pulling my hair out. My advice to the Tomshardware community is to remove Silverstone thoughts altogether. Save yourself a potential, recurring, headache.
Related resources
August 20, 2009 9:46:02 AM

currently running my computer outside the case no shut down yet. im also stressing cpu. no crash or shut down. so im guessing its is the case. ill keep this running for a few hours to see if it shuts down. *fingers cross*
August 20, 2009 10:23:03 AM

kromesta said:
currently running my computer outside the case no shut down yet. im also stressing cpu. no crash or shut down. so im guessing its is the case. ill keep this running for a few hours to see if it shuts down. *fingers cross*

*Finger Crossed* :) 
August 20, 2009 5:34:55 PM

When mounted back in the case, make sure standoffs are used, and only where there are matching holes for them on the mobo. "Crackly noises" does sound like a short, and/or a PSU problem. Who knows what potentially destructive spikes and noise may be getting to your components. What is the brand and model of the PSU?
!