Motherboards that Fit Gateway ATXSTF Chassis

hua

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I like to upgrade an old Gateway ATXSTF PC with new hardware using the same chassis if possible.

The current motherboard measures 200mm x 350mm, which doesn't seem to be a standard. Does anyone have experience with upgrades using the Gateway chassis? Would the microATX, for example, fit this chassis?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Hua

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
OEM manufacturers tend to use their own sized motherboards that differ from the standards most manufacturers use. But chances are that the screw holes and positioning for the standoffs are going to be in the same place. I used an old dell case for a rebuild and most of the standoffs in the case fit a mATX board, there were just a few extra ones in there. I cannot say if this is the case for all OEM's for sure though. Can you post a picture of the case and of the old motherboard?

hua

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

How do you attach an image? I tried to paste the jpg image into the message area, but nothing show up. Tried to use the insert image with the insert icon in the Message header with 'C:\....\file.jpg' as the url, but nothing show up. Any pointer would be appreciated.

Is there a website I can find out the exact locations of the standoffs?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Actually it's a REALLY STANDARD ATX motherboard. It's not full width, but full-width boards will fit the case. The reason I say "really standard" is because it has a Mars design port layout.

Mars design boards used to be the default standard most companies use, but everyone deviated to get more USB ports, FireWire ports, etc after it was released. The last MARS design boards I've seen were budget products.

Here's a picture of a MARS layout motherboard and backplate

http://www.pctechguide.com/images/tutorials/MBoard/IOPanel.jpg

The backplate on the photo above has "knock-out" tabs for opening the joystick and audio holes. Your case is already pre-cut and has a thick sticker covering the unused holes: You can cut holes in the sticker to fit additional ports by simply tracing the hole in the metal beneath with a sharp knife.

So, now all you need to do is find a board with MARS style ports. To do that, you have to look at photos. Loads of photos. And using the word MARS won't help, because it's a "forgotten" term.

Good thing you didn't have a Venus board!

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

Upload them to photobucket.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The Gateway case has the I/O plate built in so he's limitted to MARS style ports. That means he's limitted to older motherboards. This port layout was available on cheap boards until a couple years ago, but pretty much died out on decent boards long ago.

Micro ATX too. The last MARS-style boards I had were Micro ATX, and they'll fit a Full ATX case.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I wasn't aware that the gateway case has the I/O plate built in. The Dell Dimension that I just rebuilt had the same kind of backplate like that, but the I/O plate could be removed and I replaced it with a different one. Are you sure the I/O plate is unreplacable?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, I cut one for a removable plate before using a dremel tool, with a standard port shield as a template for marking the hole.

That "standard port shield" that comes with most cases has the "Mars" port layout.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Basically any ATX or Micro ATX board with the ports in the same location will fit. Some of the ports are covered by a sticker, there's a photo in the link that shows what holes can be found under the sticker. And you're looking at older boards mostly, the most recent I've seen was Socket 775 for Pentuim 4.