Sign in with
Your question

Xfx 9800 GT xxx edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2009 3:07:57 PM

hi all,

Hope someone can help. I have built a new rig around an intel Core i7 extreme. Gigabite UD3R, 6 GB ram OCZ gold, OCZ stealth X Stream 700W PSU, Hitachi 1TB deskstar HDD and XFX 9800 GT XXX Edition.

I have run the BIOS set up and everything ran fine until I uploaded XP-64 bit. I got a BIOS "beep" saying I'd a problem with the graphics card or monitor. I checked the monitor on my other Dell pc and that worked fine. I can't install the XFX GPU in the Dell as the mobo doesn't support it. I've swapped out the GPU for the integrated graphics and completed the set up of the new rig. Every thing works ok in the new rig. I've uploaded the OS, office software etc and the rig is lightening fast.

I'm preparing to sent the graphics card back to the online retailer but have been advised that if the card is not defective then they will charge me for the postage and their time. I don't want to do this until I've reviewed all my option.

Can anyone tell me if this card is 64 bit compatible?

Thanks

Kenny

More about : xfx 9800 xxx edition

a c 191 U Graphics card
June 6, 2009 3:27:53 PM

It should be fully compatable with your rig.
Did you connect the extra PCI-E power leads to the card: It's easily done...Trust me on this:( 
Have you altered the BIOS settings? If so that could be the problem, beeps during boot have nothing to do with the OS, it is not loaded until POST is successfully completed.
June 6, 2009 3:37:47 PM

Hi Coozie7,

I had everything working. I had all the connections fitted. The screen was up and running in BIOS and the problem happened when I was uploading the Xp-64 bit OS. The screen died and now the comp won't boot using the XFX GPU. The whole system runs on the integrated DELL graphics card so I know the system works.
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 6, 2009 3:46:43 PM

Sounds like the card just died:( 
Try booting the system with the card in (just plug it in, no need to connect it to the monitor) and see if the fan spins, it should I think spin up to full speed on startup then settle down.
June 6, 2009 8:53:06 PM

Hi Coozie7,

Yep the card does start up when I boot. 1 thing i noticed was that without the XFX VGU, the processor fan "boosts" on the boot up, and with it the CPU fan doesn't. I've been doing some digging and I think it may be the drivers...

I have noticed that the driver disk doesn't support XP-64 bit. I've downloaded the drivers from XFX but they won't load because the don't recognize the device in the comp at the minute because that's an integrated VGU so...what now?

I've asked the guys at XFX support but still waiting to see if the card is XP-64 bit compatible (just in case). It should be though, shouldn't it???

Many thanks for your time BTW.

Cheers
Kenny
June 6, 2009 9:08:55 PM

The card will work just fine with XP 64bit...what happened i dunno...
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 6, 2009 9:12:09 PM

Why for the love of all that's holy are you using XP64?
June 6, 2009 9:32:46 PM

XP 64 bit works fine and is a great os don't gripe no one wants to hear it....although i do recommend switching up to Win7 64bit or even Vista for DX10....i made the leap and next is a dual boot of OSX amuaauhuahauuahuahua....my second hackintosh.....
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 6, 2009 9:36:38 PM

Quote:
XP 64 bit works fine and is a great os

:o  WTF have you been drinking. :lol: 
June 6, 2009 9:40:39 PM

Coming from someone who has probably never ran it?

Runs no different then an XP 32bit install...
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 6, 2009 9:44:53 PM

rewindlabs said:
Coming from someone who has probably never ran it?

Oh I have given it a go, hence why I say....
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2009 12:32:29 AM

The drivers don't do anything during boot up. THat is all the BIOS(es). If the computer will not even post (get through the first few screens and start loading the OS) then something else, probably the card, is amiss. Although it isn't super common, some cards are just DOA. I had a 4850 las only about 6 seconds before it shorted out for good. You could have a similar situation.
June 7, 2009 1:27:59 PM

Ext64,

Many thanks. I was just making sure because I don't want Scan to rip me off.
Cheers

Kenny
June 7, 2009 1:32:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Oh I have given it a go, hence why I say....http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5045/funnypicturesorangemehc.jpg

See now i'm beginning to think it was the wrong decision with XP-64. I have to download drivers and stuff from the internet to get the simplest thing to work. Headphones, wireless adapter, sound card (and that's still not running). Is Win 7 really that much better? I've downloaded the beta version but couldn't be arsed uploading it.

K
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 7, 2009 1:44:55 PM

:lol:  I hear you bro, Win7 64 is infinity better than XP64, the only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't want to use all 4GB of RAM on my P35 board but this is a problem with my board rather than Win7 64 as lots of bods are running 6,8 & 12GB and the OS sees all of it, other than that everything just works and if you can't find a specific Win7 driver the Vista 64 version will usually do the job (my TV card for one works better on Win7 using the Vista 64 driver than it does Vista 64!).
June 7, 2009 1:54:53 PM

lol, burning win 7 as we speak...
June 7, 2009 2:50:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:lol:  I hear you bro, Win7 64 is infinity better than XP64, the only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't want to use all 4GB of RAM on my P35 board but this is a problem with my board rather than Win7 64 as lots of bods are running 6,8 & 12GB and the OS sees all of it, other than that everything just works and if you can't find a specific Win7 driver the Vista 64 version will usually do the job (my TV card for one works better on Win7 using the Vista 64 driver than it does Vista 64!).

I have to agree with Mouse aside from Vista and W98 ME, XP 64bit was and still is the worst supported OS that MS as ever released. Nothing like getting a smokin new Computer with fancy dual core cpu and 4 gigs of ram to run my photography business and not having 1 F-ing driver available for my 4 printers and very limited support for Adobe Photoshop. Yeah XP 64bit WAS SUCH A GOOD IDEA. :pfff: 

Irish
June 8, 2009 8:58:47 PM

Kenster69,
As far as for compatability, Windows 7 is leaps beyond xp-64bit. Unfortunately many manufacturer's just did not get around to making drivers for XP 64bit. Some of them got on board while Vista has been out. Most major manufacturer's (Intel, Nvidia, AMD/ATI, etc) have drivers out now for Win7 for both 32bit and 64bit. Go ahead and try out that Windows 7 RC. It will last until March 2010, and Windows 7 officially is released on October 22nd.. Microsoft's post about the release is here:
http://tinyurl.com/qyj37k

It does indeed sound like that card just died, which is unfortunate. I have a 8800GT in my Win7 64bit box and 280 (x2SLI) in my Vista64 box. Hopefully you can RMA it fairly easy with XFX.
June 8, 2009 9:47:28 PM

DataCabbitKSW said:
Kenster69,
As far as for compatability, Windows 7 is leaps beyond xp-64bit. Unfortunately many manufacturer's just did not get around to making drivers for XP 64bit. Some of them got on board while Vista has been out. Most major manufacturer's (Intel, Nvidia, AMD/ATI, etc) have drivers out now for Win7 for both 32bit and 64bit. Go ahead and try out that Windows 7 RC. It will last until March 2010, and Windows 7 officially is released on October 22nd.. Microsoft's post about the release is here:
http://tinyurl.com/qyj37k

It does indeed sound like that card just died, which is unfortunate. I have a 8800GT in my Win7 64bit box and 280 (x2SLI) in my Vista64 box. Hopefully you can RMA it fairly easy with XFX.

Cheers for the feedback DataCabbitKS, I've shipped it bak to the retailer who will fwd it to XFX. I'd no joy at all with it installed and my rig wouldn't do anythng at all when it was installed, wouldn't even boot. So here's hoping i get a better one in the next 3 weeks. Meanwhile, I'm just biding my time with my wifes DELL integrated card. (much to her disgust..)

As for Win7, it's just a click away :) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 8, 2009 9:59:57 PM

Bummer on the card and good luck with W7, I hope you get on well with it.
June 8, 2009 10:57:55 PM

As soon as Win7 can slim down as much as XP 64 bit XP 64 bit is a much better os to game on.....i look for raw performance boosts and its down to the os in this case...

Seriously i expect to install drivers when i set my pc up every time...so thats no reason to dis XP 64bit...so other then everyone heres inability to install a driver can anyone actually knock XP 64 bit.....ha yeah thats what i thought

XP 64 bit works fine as a gaming os until Win7 matures..... :sarcastic:  ...and nice whoever mentioned they ran 64bit...oh yeah it sucks i ran it....no elaboration for a reason right.... :??: 
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 8, 2009 11:16:01 PM

rewindlabs said:
As soon as Win7 can slim down as much as XP 64 bit XP 64 bit is a much better os to game on.....i look for raw performance boosts and its down to the os in this case...

Seriously i expect to install drivers when i set my pc up every time...so thats no reason to dis XP 64bit...so other then everyone heres inability to install a driver can anyone actually knock XP 64 bit.....ha yeah thats what i thought

XP 64 bit works fine as a gaming os until Win7 matures..... :sarcastic:  ...and nice whoever mentioned they ran 64bit...oh yeah it sucks i ran it....no elaboration for a reason right.... :??: 

Installing drivers is not a problem, it's when the drivers don't exist (Network adapters, printers, RAID & SCSI cards) that the problems begin. If you like XP64 and it works for you then happy days, but there is no reason to get all wound up when others on the planet don't share your views.
June 8, 2009 11:19:45 PM

Well bashing an OS because the company you bought your product from didn't care to have a driver made is kinda sad and really has nothing to do with M$ or XP64bit...trolling around with little meme tired and done before pictures just proves one step further your on shits and giggles.....If your going to bash an OS have a reason worth it and say why...something this petty is just sad and annoying

Giving an OS a bad name over your companys driver support is pointless...saying you might have a problem with there not being a driver is a better way to put it by far...

a c 273 U Graphics card
June 9, 2009 12:15:44 AM

Whatever, although it seems to me (and I'm guessing I may not be the only one) that feels you have some anger management issues to work out as you seem to go off the deep end over the most inconsequential things that people post be it pictures or questions from a newbie that are not phrased exactly to your liking, at the end of the day if my posts offend or annoy you then ignore them and I shall do likewise. Have a nice life.
June 9, 2009 5:57:42 PM

Guys, guys,

I don't want to start WW3 ;( I've no objections to XP-64, I like the OS and I love the layout. I much prefer its layout to Vista!

I just can't be arsed getting drivers for everything from Creative Labs to NVidia and all points in between. So far, I've had to download drivers for my web cam, headphones, sound card, graphics card (which didn't work despite all my efforts) I can't believe all the standard company names didn't or couldn't be bothered to build drives for XP64! I don't have the luxury to build a computer in an evening and then spend the next month looking for drivers, downloading them, installing them etc etc.

So in a nutshell. VGU is a dud, gone back to XFX for replacement via Scan Computers (20 days, yawn). XP is a good OS to use, but Win 7 may prove to be better (in the long run)

Cheers you guys, love you all ;*

Kenster

!