1366 i7 vs 1156 i7?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The LGA1366 i7 is better equipped for multi-GPU operation, while the LGA1156 is not perfect for that role. IIRC, all of Core i7s offer HyperThreading.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I am aware of that. I just wonder how well the HT can improve the performance.

Will the i7 with HT on beat the i7 with HT off by 10%?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Depends on the applications. In gaming, you won't see much difference, if at all, between HT on and off. In other applications, such as video encoding, you may see a noticeable difference between them.

randomizer

Champion
Encoding is the process of converting an original video file to another format, usually with some level of compression involved. Transcoding is essentially the same as encoding but usually refers to the 2nd or more conversion to another format, but you could use it in the same way as encoding. The two terms are often interchanged.

The software you use depends on:

1) Your budget(if you buy commercial software)
2) What your input files are
3) What output file you want (note that many files are just containers that can store data in several different formats, like MP4 and AVI)
4) Whether you want CPU or GPU (CUDA/Stream) transcoding.
5) Whether you also want an integrated video editor/transcoder

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
@randomizer:

The price is not an issue as there are heaps of commercial software offered to engineering students for free at my university, including Windows 7 Pro, Photoshop ...etc :) . What software do you use for encoding?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Any suggestion on AVI, MKV and HDTV encoder?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Sorry I am noob, so I don't really understand what you are talking about. Could you please provide some links regarding the H.264 for me to read? Thanks

randomizer

Champion
Probably contains far more useless info than you need but there's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Basically you have two components to most files. The compression/encoding standard and the container. Containers are things like AVI, MKV, MP4 etc. They describe the data they contain and how it is meant to be read. The data will be encoded using a particular standard such as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, WMV and H.264. The standard used partially determines the quality, file size and compatibility of a video file. A .mp4 file may contain one of several different standards, which means that if your program can read one MP4 it may not be able to read another. The video playback program must support both the container and the standard to work.

To be even more confusing some standards go by multiple names. H.264 is also called AVC and MPEG-4 Part 10 (usually not the latter).

This might be of help too: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/143/59/

daship

Distinguished
i use handbrake and xtodvdconverter. Both use my i7 real nice super fast.

A buddy of mine just got a job for $500 to convert 700 DvDs to digital, lol way undercut himself, he found out after he started. Thank god him and I both use newsgroups instead of torrents cause he just ended up downloading most of them already converted saved weeks of time. Its nice to Download 11gigs per hour.

daship

Distinguished
You might as well get socket 1366, so its cheaper to upgrade to i9. No socket 1366 no i9 for you. Also 1366 uses triple channel ram and 1156 uses dual channel. "Fail"

Problem is, theres alot of interaction between the cpu and the gpu, and the cpu, with HT on, keeps wanting to thread it out to 8 threads, which takes time/cycles, and its not needed, so you end up losing those cycles/time.
Other apps however dont have that interaction, and either show no loss or gain either, and some apps use the extra threads, and are much quicker

PS me too

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I heard that i9 is EE which is too expensive to me. Hence, I only want to get 1156 so that I can upgrade to a much cheaper mainstream CPU later.

xaira

Distinguished
and i dont think the 1156 versions will get stock clocks over 3ghz, only with turbo, 1366 is more of a haha you cant afford this platform, who will need tripple channel memory in a desktop environment, or twelve threads?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

1156 gets 3.46GHz + turbo to 3.8GHz.

although it is a dual core, but it has SMT.