Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the best memory to use with gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Last response: in Memory
November 4, 2009 5:38:37 PM

I am building an AMD based machine using a Phenom II X4 965 processor and a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard. I haven't decided on a video card yet, but am wondering about memory. At this point I am looking at Corsair CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 Dominator kits. I am not a gamer, but I do work a fair bit with video production at my school e.g. creating/editing video. This memory is not readily available, so I am wondering if there is anything else out there better or at least as good that will give me the power I want. I understand latency figures determine the speed at which memory works and the 6-6-6-18 figures are the lowest I have seen so far. I tend to do the overkill thing to try to prevent my machine from going obsolete too quickly.

Any assistance/insight would be appreciated.

Best solution

November 4, 2009 7:16:11 PM

I have that exact motherboard and I went with G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 4GB. I talked to G-Skill and this is what they recommended.
He said it is set up for AM3 processors. My .02! Oh, and the speed is 1600 mhz
November 4, 2009 8:25:18 PM

I also have that MB. I have 8GB of this memory and it has worked very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I wasn't able to find the mem you mentioned. That MB requires DDR3 mem and does not support triple channel, i say this only because newegg only has DDR3 mem at 6 cas in triple channel kits.

Have you purchased the CPU yet? Go with the 955 if you haven't and just OC it a bit. The 955 is a 125 watt cpu, the 965 is a 140.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2009 9:14:36 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have bought the processor, but not the motherboard at this point. I'll check out the memory you suggest. Thanks again.

According to the Corsair website, the CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 memory is suggested for the Gigabyte board GA-MA790FXT-UD5P.
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:32:31 PM

I did find some info about that ram online. IMO $175-200+ is too much to pay for ram. Especially since the benefit between cas 6 and 8 can hardly be measured in day to day use. If you were really building some uber system maybe I could see it. Wilber as an FYI since the prices of tech equipment are always falling and the occasional sale it is usually more cost effective to wait till the last minute to buy while you make your decision on what to buy. Normally there is no savings to buying this and that till you have a complete build unless that period is over a very short time. The exception being the new ATI video cards which can hardly be found.
m
l
!