Sign in with
Your question

Enable modem souinds PC speaker WIN XP

Last response: in Windows XP
October 20, 2011 9:31:14 PM

Hello,
I recently had a repair on XP Pro and upgrade to IE 8. Also AOL 9.6. Since then I do not have the modem sounds dialing up in XP. The modem sounds are in my external speakers, just not the PC speaker anymore. I have checked many configurations. I have a dual boot with Win 98 SE which does have modem sounds in PC speaker. Any thoughts anyone?
October 28, 2011 4:27:08 PM

Hi Chicano, Yes I have checked the Beep drivers and that function is working properly as stated in the Beep configuration. For some reason XP settings is not directing modem dialing to PC speaker. Modem dialing is audible in the external speakers. Beep is working during the boot sequence in the PC speaker, which also indicates that PC speaker is enabled. I have seen some suggestions to tamper with Hkey in the register. I am reluctant to do that due to lack of experience in the registry. I have a Registry Fixer that I may eventually try. I have run the scan of the registry and it shows errors.
Thanks,
Marvin

Chicano said:
Have you checked if the internal speaker is disabled?

How can I disable / enable the internal speaker?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000725.htm

m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2011 11:22:43 PM

Thanks Chicano, I visited the site , downloaded & installed Reimage Repair, scanned XP drive and found some unidentified problems, required activation code at $69.95 for one year & 99.95 for 3 years subscription. I uninstalled the program.
m
l
November 9, 2011 8:58:23 PM

mhardin665 said:
Thanks Chicano, I visited the site , downloaded & installed Reimage Repair, scanned XP drive and found some unidentified problems, required activation code at $69.95 for one year & 99.95 for 3 years subscription. I uninstalled the program.

As far as I can see the Reimage Repair software is just a registry cleaner with antispyware and I seriously doubt it could have fixed your problem. You would probably have better results with Tune Up Utilities.. it works with all functions for a trial period and does an excellent job cleaning the registry and solving all types of problems.

For what I've read modem conflicts can be caused by IRQ assignment problem... though they say multiple devices assigned to a single IRQ channel doesn't cause problems, but if that were the case, why have 20+ IRQ channels instead one. It would be adviceable to check if the modem is sharing IRQ channel with another device and if so, try resetting the IRQ assigned to the beeper according to the instructions mentioned in this forum thread. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/128423-solved-how-do... Try through the BIOS for starters and later according to the last answer in the thread.

My own opinion is that the problem may be due to outdated drivers which would be expected after a new installation if the OS is not fully updated as well as the device drivers. You would think a rapair installation should keep the installed drivers, but what if the appropriate driver is not included in the OS CD? the installation program would probably replace the installed driver with one included in the CD.

You should check for driver updates in the motherboard's webpage.. I would suggest you check and download driver updates,.. or install a driver application that can do your updates automatically or at least tells you which drivers need updating.

BTW I mentioned previously the system beeper obviously confusing it with the modem beeper.. Hope you disregarded that dumbfounded answer.
m
l
November 19, 2011 12:25:39 AM

Again Thanks Chicano, I have been following up on your thoughts and suggestions. I installed "Tune Up Utilities 2012" and ran the scan and persued some of the options. We have been trying to follow up on your thoughts on the chipset drivers. I do not have the original MB cd with the drivers, so have been trying to determine the MB and chipset. Windows System Information identifies the MB as Inter(R) i845. Possibly an Intel Chipset. Can't absolutely identify MB & Chipset. Have been searching for drivers. At the time of repair procedure XP Pro most likely loaded generic drivers which are functioning for the most purpose, but not MB & Chipset specific.
m
l
November 20, 2011 12:32:14 AM

Have you tried this possible solution? You must have searched for a solution and may have seen this one, so I hope you still haven't

Enable / disable modem speaker.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000439.htm

There are several variations of the 845 Intel chipset so the only sure way to ID yours is to install an application such as Speccy or Aida32 to get the accurate information on motherboard make & model and exact chipset... and with that information you can visit the Intel website and search for the exact chipset update. And BTW after the Tune Up Utilities trial period runs out, I would reccommend you install Glary Utilities which is freeware and is very similar to Tune Up Utilities.

Aida32 is far better than the built-in windows system information tool and this version is portable so it doesn't need to be installed.
http://www.pendriveapps.com/aida32-system-information-t...

Speccy is light, simple and this download is portable
http://www.freewarefiles.com/Speccy-Portable_program_53...
m
l
November 22, 2011 7:25:52 PM

Hi Chicano, I had previously tried the enable suggestion. Also tried the AT modem commands. I did use Aida32, which identified the MB as DFI NB72-SC/SR. Also the Chipset as Intel Brookdale i845. I used Intel's Id tool to automatically identify and install the Chipset drivers which it accomplished. That function did not resolve the "no dial sounds in the PC speaker. It may be something that I have to just endure. I can turn on the external speakers and obtain the dialing sounds. Thanks ever so much for your assistance and advice.
m
l
November 23, 2011 5:12:40 AM

Well, before closing this thread, let me make a few more suggestions. From what you've told me, I am convinced this is a driver problem and you should exhaust all options before resigning yourself to endure the issue. Drivers can be a royal pain to update but not necessarity with help from a driver application

If updating the modem drivers hasn't worked, maybe you havent installed the most appropriate update, driver applications can do a much better job than we can ever do manually, so I think you should try a driver scanner application that may find, download and install the best available modem and PCI bus drivers.

1) Try and update the PCI Bus drivers and check all devices under Device Manager \ System Devices for driver warning signs.
2) The next suggestion would be to install a Driver Scanner application to see if you can automatically update the modem and PCI Bus drivers.
m
l
November 23, 2011 5:23:20 AM

Many driver scanners lead, as the OP found, toc offers of expensive utilities that frequently do more harm than good. In Device Manager, every entry has a Details tab and under that is the HardwareID. If you take the four characters which follow VEN (for Vendor) and the four which follow DEV (for Device) you can enter those in the boxes at http://www.pcidatabase.com.

The trail usually leads to the manufacturer's own website which is the safest place to go to download drivers. It's not always straightforward and it doesn't always work but it's a lot easier and safer than following any of the link Google will give you if you look for the word "driver" in a search.

m
l
November 29, 2011 11:26:18 PM

I have installed and ran SlimDrivers Utility which scanned and updated sixteen drivers, no solution. Today I pulled the modem and identified it as Cnet Tecnology 5614RV. downloaded drivers without solving the problem. Thanks again to you guys for your asistance. I am going to check out the IRQ usage for the modem next.
m
l
November 30, 2011 2:43:18 AM

mhardin665

What if you remove the updated driver and go back to the driver that was installed on the modem before you repaired Windows XP? Seems to me that the only difference between your Windows 98 and XP is the driver version.. my guess is the modem driver in XP may have the modem speaker disabled in favor of the PC external speakers..

You said before:
"I have seen some suggestions to tamper with Hkey in the register. I am reluctant to do that due to lack of experience in the registry"

Would you fill me in on the details or the webpage where you read that so I can check that information?.. I have done many changes on the registry for years and may be able to at least tell if the suggestion would help... if the updated modem driver dissabled the speaker in the registry, I may be able to tell if it can be re-enabled.

Something else you can do is: with the suggestion you mentioned, go to the windows 98 registry and export the key where the change is reccomended and save the backup in a text.txt file... then go to the XP registry, export and save the same registry key, and compare both files side by side, and see if you can find the difference and if it relates to the modem speaker.
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:14:48 AM

Hello Chicano, I downloaded and installed a program called Open RegEdit ver 2.0.04 that seems to be rather versatile for use in the Registry. It maintains that 50 tools are available for use. Problem is that I haven't really figured how to avail myself of all it's various functions. First place, I can't recognize the key that relates to my problem. I found supposedly my modem software which is under Registry Editor, My Computer, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, CXT, Softk56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP. Then expanding that folder reveals several folders, such as, CARP, Files, HsfServices, InstallControl, Modem Inf, RegValues. Then as I expand those folders files appear as the same Icon in all folders with, for instance, (Name) mdmxsdk (Type) REG_SZ (Data) mdmxsdk.
I don't find anything that refers to Internal Speaker.
What should I be looking for and am I looking in the right place? Can you give me some guidance in the Registry?
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:02:54 AM

To get the exact driver name so you can look for in the registry, go to My Computer\right click\select Manage\then Device Manager\Modems\right click on your modem\Properties\Driver tab\Driver details\and copy each driver name or take a screenshot of the box and close the Device Manager. Then search the Windows Registry for the driver or drivers if more than one in the Driver details box. Once you have the exact registry key identified... right click on it and select Export, save the data in a text file and next copy and paste the text here. If the text is to much, specially if the data is coded, upload the text file to a file sharing website (previously removing passwords and personal info if any) and post the link here.
I havent used a modem for a long time so I don't guarantee you results but I can try... or hopefully someone with more experience on modem settings can help
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:56:00 AM

Chicano, The following is what I came up with. Does this look right to you?

Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Open RegEdit\Settings
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 12/6/2011 - 10:38 PM
Value 0
Name: LastVersion
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 5.10

Value 1
Name: ShortCut
Data: 1

Value 2
Name: LastKey
Data: PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1&REV_01\4&3AB31F7F&0&50F0

Value 3
Name: LastHive
Data: 4

Value 4
Name: String
Data: 0

Value 5
Name: Look
Data: 0

Value 6
Name: Value
Data:

m
l
December 7, 2011 4:37:19 AM

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and into the Vendor and Device input boxes, type in those details from above - 14F1 and 2F00 - then you should be able to follow the trail to the right driver.

By the way, those details are also available in the device's Properties>Details>HardwareIDs in Devcice Manager which is easier than searching the Registry.

m
l
December 7, 2011 9:03:55 PM

Saga Lout said:

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and into the Vendor and Device input boxes, type in those details from above - 14F1 and 2F00 - then you should be able to follow the trail to the right driver.

By the way, those details are also available in the device's Properties>Details>HardwareIDs in Devcice Manager which is easier than searching the Registry.

Thanks Saga Lout,

0x14F1 Chip Number: 0x14F1
Chip Description: 0x14F1
Notes:

0x2F00 Chip Number: 00101767
Chip Description: HSF 56k HSFi Modem
Notes: yok

I have previously been this route and identified the chipset as Conexant and installed the suggested generic drivers for HSF by them. They also state that they do not manufacture the modems and that you should obtain drivers from the manufacturer of the modem. I pulled the modem and identified it as being manufactured by a firm in China and distributed by Cnet Technology in California, model CN5614RV. I installed their suggested drivers.The following is the current Windows System Information.

Name Softk56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP
Description Softk56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP
Device ID PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1&REV_01\4&3AB31F7F&0&50F0
Device Type Internal Modem
Attached To COM3
Answer Mode Not Available
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_200414F1&REV_01\4&3AB31F7F&0&50F0
Provider Name CXT
Modem INF Path oem29.inf
Modem INF Section Modem3
Blind Off X4
Blind On X3
Compression Off +DS=0;
Compression On +DS=3;
Error Control Forced +ES=3,2,4;
Error Control Off +ES=1,0,1;
Error Control On +ES=3,0,2;
Flow Control Hard +IFC=2,2;
Flow Control Off +IFC=0,0;
Flow Control Soft +IFC=1,1;
DCB 
Default <
Inactivity Timeout Not Available
Modulation Bell Not Available
Modulation CCITT Not Available
Prefix AT
Pulse P
Reset ATZ<cr>
Responses Key Name Softk56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP::CXT::CXT
Speaker Mode Dial M1
Speaker Mode Off M0
Speaker Mode On M2
Speaker Mode Setup M3
Speaker Volume High L3
Speaker Volume Low L1
Speaker Volume Med L2
String Format Not Available
Terminator <cr>
Tone T
Memory Address 0xEE000000-0xEE00FFFF
I/O Port 0x00009400-0x00009407
IRQ Channel IRQ 9

m
l
December 10, 2011 8:34:42 PM

I now have modem sounds in Internal PC Speaker. The utility that I downloaded and installed called SlimDrivers does automatic scans and locates driver updates on the Internet did so. I tried to stop the install because Windows warned that the drivers were not verified or tested by Microsoft for XP and advised not ot install. The install completed anyway, so I rebooted and loaded AOL and had sounds. These were Softv92 Data Fax drivers and not the SoftK56 speakerphone drivers that were called for on the 5614RV Cnet Modem site. Thanks for all the help Chicano & Saga Lout.
Marvin
m
l
December 10, 2011 10:12:16 PM

So the drivers application did it after all!!... Congratulations.
m
l
December 11, 2011 1:28:46 AM

Yes, you were right, just needed to find the drivers that matched the modem, I suppose! Cnet Technology model 5614 RV called for Soft56K and I had installed from the XP repair was Softv92. Then the updated Softv92 worked. Silly computer!!!! Thank you again for your efforts and advice. I haven't figured yet how to close this thread, can't find a button to do so.
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:23:52 AM

Well done.

You don't need to close the thread - it remains on view for others who might have the same problem. You could, however, click to award Chicano the Best Answer.

m
l
December 11, 2011 6:03:19 PM

mhardin665 said:
I had installed from the XP repair was Softv92. Then the updated Softv92 worked. Silly computer!!!!.
Well, it must be a newer version of that driver... I would suggest you backup the working driver in case you ever need it again... the application has the capability to backup installed drivers and restore them, so my advice is to backup the application (for later use) and the drivers you may want to backup, all in a properly named folder and burned to a CD
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:16:48 PM

Saga Lout said:

Well done.

You don't need to close the thread - it remains on view for others who might have the same problem. You could, however, click to award Chicano the Best Answer.

Thank you saga lout... I appreciate your suggestion.

m
l
December 11, 2011 10:19:29 PM

I think that is what I wanted to do, but didn't find a button, link or place to do so. Aha! Now I have found it. Thanks!
m
l
!