Best MOBO for i7 system? Need reliability, USB, firewire...

i3eezenotch

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Hey, I'm looking for the best quality MOBO for an i7 system. If it's cheaper, it doesn't have to be SLI...I just bought a GTX 260 but don't plan on getting a second one any time soon...and the earliest I would need a second one is probably a year or two from now at LEAST with the amount of gaming I do (and I would probalby do even less in a year or two)...so I figure by then I might as well just build a new rig. So essentially, I need just USB, firewire, ethernet and that's it...no need for onboard audio or anything like that. I just want a reliable board from a reliable company that will have good performance without the extra bells and whistles (unless I can get them for no price premium haha)

Thanks!

i3eezenotch

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Those both are relatively pricey and have 3x SLI and onboard audio--are there any cheaper options without these bells and whistles but as good quality? My last board I bought for only $80 last summer--the Gigabyte DS3L...I know i7 stuff is way more expensive, but maybe something closer to $150? But if the $150 is not reliable, I am OK spending more.

not moose

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
ASUS P6T SE. It doesn't have sli support, but it does have crossfire so if you do end up wanting to go with multiple cards in the future you can use ATI cards for it.

tidefan94

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

I have the GA-EX58 board, its really good, I've had no issues, and it has SLI and crossfire support, and up to 24 gig memory (if tri-channel is used) but in the end its really just whichever you would rather buy (unless u want SLI).

1kpc

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

Thanks tidefan94. I've ordered a gigabyte x58-ud4p.