Laptop wakes up for no apparent reason.

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 12:13:09 PM

Well, actually, my desktop also wakes up for no apparent reason as well.

I've set the standby timeouts. As best as I can tell, the laptop goes to
sleep at the set time. But for no apparent reason, the laptop wakes up,
WinXP Pro gives the short dink-donk noise that indicates a network just
came on line, then a few minutes later it goes back to sleep.

Is there a particular network broadcast message that's waking it up? I see
broadcasts on the switch and the laptop doesn't wake up.

But something is. Any clues?

WinXP Pro, no anti-virus, no firewall, ethernet to a switch, no ports
forwarded to this machine from the router.

Brian Smither
Smither Consulting

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
Anonymous

Brian Smither wrote:
> Well, actually, my desktop also wakes up for no apparent reason as
> well.
>
> I've set the standby timeouts. As best as I can tell, the laptop goes
> to sleep at the set time. But for no apparent reason, the laptop
> wakes up, WinXP Pro gives the short dink-donk noise that indicates a
> network just came on line, then a few minutes later it goes back to
> sleep.
>
> Is there a particular network broadcast message that's waking it up?
> I see broadcasts on the switch and the laptop doesn't wake up.
>
> But something is. Any clues?
>
> WinXP Pro, no anti-virus, no firewall, ethernet to a switch, no ports
> forwarded to this machine from the router.
>
> Brian Smither
> Smither Consulting

Turn off Wake on Lan.
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-how...

a b D Laptop
April 6, 2004 7:02:01 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:T4Sdne03neCg9-
zd4p2dnA@comcast.com:

> http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-how...

Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it. But this article
discusses the technical aspects of WOL and, as I mentioned earlier, the
laptop isn't "powered off" waiting for that "magic packet", it's just on
standby. There isn't a machine in my LAN that would construct this magic
packet anyway.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2004 12:25:15 PM

Brian Smither wrote:
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:T4Sdne03neCg9-
> zd4p2dnA@comcast.com:
>
>> http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-how...
>
> Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it. But this article
> discusses the technical aspects of WOL and, as I mentioned earlier,
> the laptop isn't "powered off" waiting for that "magic packet", it's
> just on standby. There isn't a machine in my LAN that would construct
> this magic packet anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308535&Product=winxp

Stand-by
Stand-by is an intermediate system-dependent state which attempts to
conserve power. Stand-by is entered when the central processing unit
(CPU) is idle and no device activity is known to have occurred within a
specific period of time. Your computer will not return to ready until
one of the following events occur:
a.. A device raises a hardware interrupt
b.. Any controlled device is accessed
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 1:55:45 AM

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308535&Product=
> winxp

So the next question is: where does one look for the evidence of what
exactly raised the hardware interrupt?

After carefully examining the event logs, I discovered that the laptop
exits Standy-By exactly 45 minutes after entering. The laptop also waits
15 minutes before entering Stand-By as set in the Power Management
control panel.

The event log lists when the network card searched for the LAN, either
finding it or not. I left the laptop on overnight. The event log shows
entries each and every hour plus nine seconds. But note that the event
log does NOT say that it was the network card that took the laptop out of
Stand-By.

OK, I found the likely culprit: hibernation.

I made two last adjustments. I disabled the WinTime32 service and I
disabled Hibernation in the Power Management control panel. The laptop
(as best as I can tell) has not awoken from Stand-By for the past 12
hours. I will return WinTime to it's default state and see what happens.

Now I need to figure out why the laptop doesn't like hibernation.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
!