Maxtor OneTouch II connected internally, not visible??

maxtorsucks

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Maxtor One TOuch II not being recognized by computer. Hear clicking sound, but no spinning. USB and Power cord confirmed working

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Is it internal or external? Title says internal but it sounds like you are describing external.

You might not hear the spinning. Is there any kind of indicator light? Was it pre-formatted - if not, you need to initialize it in disk management.

maxtorsucks

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

External - sorry

There is an indicator light and it is on - I tried going through disk management, but my computer does not recognize the external hard drive.

oah

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

:hello: I hope you don't mind me picking up on this thread. This guys problem was the same as mine and I see he never got back to you.
I am running windows xp, and the matxor is connected, have a light on the front, hear a faint clicking, drive doesn't show up in device manager, or my computer.
Maxtor program says to connect the device or turn it on.
Just before the Maxtor quit working, I was trying to look at some files. When it seemed to lock up. After that it wouldn't let my desktop start up from a cold boot with out unplugging it. It would hang. When I would plug it in later, the maxtor program came up with the message to plug it in or turn it on, but it program screen flickered the whole time as if it was trying to start.
I don't know what happened since, other than unplugging it several times and trying to get it to start, but now I can start my desk top whether or not the maxtor is plugged in and now the program doesn't flicker when I open it. It still doesn't work and everything is as before, light on and faint clicking.
I have some work files on this that I hope I can recover.

tony cueto

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I took my Maxtor 500 GB one touch apart, and installed the hardrive directly to my computer using the CD ribbon cable, and I can't see the drive at all.
When booting, I get a drive 5 not found error message, then fress F1 to continue, I can't see it when I right click on "my computer" nor in device manager.
What am I doing wrong ?