Very high temps after installing CM Hyper TX3. Any ideas?

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I just installed a CM Hyper TX3 on my i3. I used a glob of MX-4 lobbed on to the CPU pushed it a bit with the nozzle and then Pressed the CPU cooler down on the CPU.

I used this to attach the fan on. notice the direction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VAXldDk94&feature=related
That is the direction i used. it is now pointed towards the exhaust fan at hte back of my case (about 2 inches away from it)

Also now even my GPU seems to be idling hotter. 33C instead of around 28C

to install it I had to mess around a bit with the cooler once I had got it on the board because it's huge on my microatx board (GA H55-UD2H) and my smallish CM335 elite.

I'm thinking I didn't apply the TIM right. I didn't leave it to cure either because I've been told this TIM doesnt need it... any ideas?

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I opened it up again and spread the thermal paste with a credit card. Didn't re-apply. Temps dropped by about 10C.

it's still way too high though. idling at about 37 C and peaking at 80C
Any tips?

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Reapply but with a line of tim over each heatpipe and none on the cpu.Alsso be sure that the push pins have gone completely through the moherboard.

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Cool thansk dude. You sure just a line on each heatpipe will be enough?

I'm using multipurpose PC cleaning fluid to remove the TIM... That okay or would nail polish remover be better?

sucks that my stock cooler is actually performing better at this point.

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Becoolbro, you're the man

I tried using a line on just the heatpipes and now I've got 56 C peak under Prime95

Much better than stock. Thanks dude

Be cool,

bro

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Glad to have helped:)