Need help with PSU and video card.

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I recently got around to buying my GeForce 9600GT. I needed a new video card, so I decided on getting this one, even if it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it is going to work though, I just don't want to mess my PC up. So here's the deal, My 9600GT might not run with the PSU I have at the moment. I have a Dell 9100 Dimension Desktop, I'm not sure which default power supply unit it comes with, but I had it upgraded when my HD died and I had to get it replaced for a "SATA II 16MB Cache/ 7,200 RPM 320GB Harddrive" I am not sure what they replaced my PSU with, because there seems to be no way to check the amount of Watts it is using at the moment. There is no sticker, nor a way I can be sure. Please look at the new HD that i mensioned above, how many watt's do you think my PSU was replaced with? Will my 9600GT work with it? Thanks for the help Hardware bro's.

Edit: The stock PSU seems to come with a 375 Watt PSU, Mine was upgraded (It being downgraded being non logical) so It has a higher watt power yes?

Nelo6

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009

Anyone?

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
check your thread under nvidia, people clicking on the main topic see all the sub forums at once so there's no need for duplicate threads.

I think it is a UL requirement that a psu have a sticker with it's specs on it. It may be hidden, and you might have to remove the psu to find it.

The typical 9600GT requires a single 6 pin pci-e connector from the psu. If your psu has such a connector, then it should have enough power to supply the 75 watts that the connector may draw.

If you do not have such a connector, then you will have to use the molex to 6 pin adaptor that should have come with your vga card. Then you should have a 400w psu with 26a on the 12 v rails.

If your 9600GT is the EVGA low power unit which does not require a 6 pin connector, then you are OK.