Sony VAIO. I need an advice,please!

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 5, 2004 2:21:50 PM

Hello.
Please be understanding:-) I'm not a computer wizard (far away from that)so
it all my sound a bit dumb.
I have a Vaio PCG-FR215S laptop but it's working very slowly. I was
un/installing different software/shareware/codecs so many times that I think
I messed something up because many programs are not running at all (Norton
systemworks, Photoshop...). I had some trojans as well but I got rid of them
after installing like 10 anti-virus programs.... And it's gotten very slowly
in general. My friend said I should format the hard drive and that he'll do
it for me. I can transfer all my files to my dad's computer but I don't what
to do about the whole system. I don't know how to explain it but now it's SO
SONY!:)  I've got a recovery disk but it's got no Windows on it. Can I
install any other Windows? Even if it's not English... If I put the
recovery disk in afterwards will it "recognize" it's Sony? Has anyone here
done it?
Sorry if it sounded like I'm 5 yrs old.
thx
-magda

More about : sony vaio advice

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2004 2:21:51 PM

>From: trix@mtl.pl (mm)
>Hello.
>Please be understanding:-) I'm not a computer wizard (far away
>from that)so it all my sound a bit dumb.
>I have a Vaio PCG-FR215S laptop but it's working very
>slowly. I was un/installing different software/shareware/codecs so many
times that
>I think I messed something up because many programs are
>not running at all (Norton systemworks, Photoshop...). I had some
>trojans as well but I got rid of them after
>installing like 10 anti-virus programs.... And it's gotten very slowly
>in general. My friend said I should format the hard
>drive and that he'll do it for me. I can
>transfer all my files to my dad's computer but I
>don't what to do about the whole system. I don't
>know how to explain it but now it's SO SONY!:)
>I've got a recovery disk but it's got no Windows
>on it. Can I install any other Windows? Even if
>it's not English... If I put the recovery disk in
>afterwards will it "recognize" it's Sony? Has anyone here done
>it?
>Sorry if it sounded like I'm 5 yrs old.
>thx
>magda

Magda,
If you have your original Sony Recovery SYSTEM CDs (usually there are 3
system discs) that came with your Viao,..then your Windows Operating
System (Win_9x, ME, Win_2K, or XP) is embeded on them.

I would suggest that you re_format & re_partition the hard drive. I
would do a Low-Level format, so the HD will be factory fresh.
but if you don't know how,...then get someone who does (cause it can be
a bit tricky) or bring-it to a local computer repair station & have them
do it for you.

they should charge about $60 to $100 to do the job.
Be sure to bring all of your Sony CDs usually 5CDs ) that came with your
laptop when you bought it.

Should be:

3 System Recovery CD's
1 Driver's CD
2 Applications (software) CD's

the most important to bring to a repairman are the 3 System Recovery
CD's.

After they get it back to original condition, have them do updates your
BIOS, Win_OS, & all your Hardware Drivers, too.

Hope this helps:

S_H
April 5, 2004 8:30:51 PM

Thank you so much. I thought I would get slammed for that post.

> Magda,
> If you have your original Sony Recovery SYSTEM CDs (usually there are 3
> system discs) that came with your Viao,..then your Windows Operating

.... well. The thing is I got only ONE sytstem cd. I found it a bit weird as
well. And I'm not sure about the service thing as I bought it in London and
I live in Poland where no one is even distributing Vaios. I'll try to email
sony and ask for some more cds:-)

thanks again
magda
!