Dont buy motherboards yet! Wait for USB 3.0.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

TheViper

Distinguished
Too few boards are putting it in there and limiting your options to just 1 ASUS board isn't a good idea.

Intel is supposedly holding back on releasing USB 3.0 until either late next year or even 2011.

why ?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/30/asus-u3s6-first-usb-3-0-sata-6-0-pci-e-card/

Not only can it be added in if you need it but like the reviewer said....gonna be a long time before anything uses it....kinda like the new Seagate SATA drives

Oh yeah, I would definetly wait on building anything new just to get USB 3 :sarcastic:

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Meh... as far as SATA 3 and USB 3 are concerned:

1) You can always buy an expansion card later
2) eSATA can be used in substitute of USB 3.0 right now (just may not be hot-swappable)
3) SSDs are really the only things which will fully utilize the speed, and they aren't cheap enough or fast enough to justify waiting
4) CAT 6 cable + Gigabit routers are the way to go for fast home-networking
5) Did I mention you can just buy an expansion card when the time comes?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Yes you can get the ASUS and ECS expansion cards but the trick is.... these motherboards from Asus are already coming out very soon, by December we should see them on shelves and then we can have the OPTION to also buy the usb 3.0 expansion cards for the PCIe to have even more thus making your X58 or P55 usable until USB3.0 is the norm or standard which will be in about 2-5 years. We already know that the hexacore core i9s will be used on X58 boards so might as well buy an X58 with the USB 3.0onboard and ready, plus expand. This is advice for those who are planning on building a next gen PC in the next few months, not in the long term or next year but in 2009. It makes the most sense if you are planning on making the best system currently possible with future references....

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Yes thank you, pls. continue to post more updates and news on USB3.0 and better X58 boards as people are buying and looking into the P55 which isnt as future proof as the X58 in terms of years and future CPU connectivity.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
My bad that was an LGA1556 motherboard with USB 3.0. there are several also out for that but Id advise ppl that DO have the budget to get an X58 mb instead and wait for the ones to come out with Usb3.0.

toyotascionxd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I bought a computer way back in 1998 that didn't have any usb ports. What I did was I bought a card that has USB 2.0 ports on it. Well I can't wait for 2011. I might have to do the same thing. As long as the OS that you have on your computer supports usb 3.0. That's ok.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

wow you completely skipped usb 1.0..... i guess you never used zip drives in 96,97,98,and 99

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
There will be also Intel H57 Motherboards coming up which would support future CPU that has Intel IGP support. I was wondering about the IGP's effect on video card's GPU. IGP might bring faster performance for video cards. ASUS had already shown P7H57D-V EVO motherboard. Unfortunately, I still don't hear about Intel 32nm quad core CPU yet. However, there is Clarkdale 32nm dual core CPU coming in early 2010 which support IGP. Clarkdale's IGP core would be 45nm and the ordinary general-use core is 32nm.

There is also a new cheaper ASUS P7P55D-E PRO with onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support without having to rely on PLX add-on expansion card.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Future proof isn't really a dead word and it is use everyday to determine/predict how long products are going to last. It is like you can still future proof yourself for the next 2-3 years before the product you purchased become obsolete. I agree that all products would become obsolete but it is a matter of time or when it would become obsolete. The reason why we all wanted to buy newest products is because we wanted them to work well for longer periods of time and certainly that nobody wanted to buy products that are about to become obsolete like within 1 week or 1-6 months after spending a lot of cash for it. I think that what the OP meant with "future proofing yourself with USB 3.0" is that you can future proof yourself temporarily until USB 3.0 become obsolete so you would have many years left to enjoy using USB 3.0 compatible devices before USB 3.0 becomes obsolete which is an intelligent thing to do. ;)

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Anyway, for Intel's Gulftown 6-core CPU or Core i9 or X58 system, I don't think that you really need that for future proofing your system. 6-core high end desktop CPU is more like marketing hype by Intel unless if you are really planning to run a server or you are rich. Most games and applications were not even being optimize for quad core yet. :D

I heard that Intel Gulftown 6-core CPU is going to cost like $1000! :ouch:

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I also heard that AMD is going to release RD890 and SB880 chipsets in the early 2010. Unlike Intel's P55 and H57 chipsets, AMD RD890 and SB880 chipsets will support SATA 3 and maybe also even USB 3.0 without having to rely on third-party chipsets from NEC and Marvell. :bounce:

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Sounds like a perfect reason to get a board with a PCIe 1x slot. Also if you get a USB 3.0 board, you are missing out on USB 4.0, so I'd wait a little bit for that standard to get finalized....

TheViper

Distinguished
"Future proofing" is a marketing misnomer of epic proportions.

Minimal obsoletism, increased longevity, early feature adoption, planned modernizing, long term relevancy and many other idioms are much more appropriate.

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

+1

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Come on! Actually, I almost never hear people use those terms. It is kinda too official for people to use in a simple ordinary every-day spoken languange. Just use the word "Upgrade" or "Update" or "could possibly future proof yourself for the next 2 - 3 years (prediction)" is enough for ordinary spoken language when it comes to PC discussion. :hello:

I think that the word "Longevity" is used more in medical science and saying "minimal obsoletism/long term relevancy" is not a cool way for saying and it is kinda too official unless if you wanna sound like President Bush or something (half joking) :p and "modernizing" is used more in infrastructure engineering like modernizing city of Dubai. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I normally see it and heard from other people. :D

You don't have to say "it will cause minimal obsoletism" or "it will increase longevity if you get USB 3.0", that would just complicate simple phrases even more and sound kinda nerd-sytle or dumb. :eek:

Anyway, maybe it all comes down to people's preference with the way they speak but seriously, I almost don't hear people using those more official terms in every-day spoken language or in this internet forum.

Jeeez! Don't take it too seriously... :D

Or...... maybe you are just testing my patience or something. Lol! ANYWHOOO, I am still happy. Take care! :)

TheViper

Distinguished
None are official (how could they be with no regulating body to establish it) but "future proofing" is used far too often with most not realizing how inaccurate the phrase is. The pure nature of the industry prevents such as consideration.

My frustration with the phrase is only semantically. I'm only trying to break the habit of people from using the phrase or at least educate them on the paradox, such as it is.

No different than trying to break people from saying "irregardless". The preceding "ir" is redundant.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It is not really a matter of who is more educate than who but it is a matter of one's own personal opinion and one's personal taste in using the words... :)

Anyway, you can still future proof yourself temporarily with USB 3.0 until it becomes obsolete for at least 2-5 years in the future (my prediction) before USB 4.0 comes out. At least, I'm assure that you would agree with this. ;)

Good luck and enjoy the USB 3.0 tech! :D

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

My point exactly, Thank you. Future proof is a period of time wherein a new product can assist you and still be relevent or widely accepted before it is phased out as a technology or trend. Thus USB3.0 which isnt out on the mass market yet but will be very soon is a perfect example of a future proofed peripheral.

All I was getting at was don't let the P55 hype or HOOPLA fool you. The X58's now, will be used for the new core i9 6 core cpus/systems. So when the newer x58's with usb 3.0 connectors and SATA3 come out, get it and you will have a motherboard that will last you for at least the next 5 years for sure depending on the type of usage. As for relevance, the X58 will be very relevent for years to come and USB3.0 is the next new thing... you can also buy Pcie x4 USB3.0 slots for expansion on the back of the case.

In my opinion, I would and will spend on the new x58 with usb3.0 next year and get a decent core i7920, which eventually i can change for a new hexacore i9 two or three years down the road.... while USB 3.0 will then be the mainstream...... SEE....

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Thanks for your credit to my previous post. I agree with your first phrases but what I disagree with you is about ignoring P55 and seeing P55 as marketing hype. P55 would also potentially future proof you for the next 5 years as well as X58 but the difference is the price. You don't really need a more expensive X58 high-end system or Core i9 or a $1000 Hexa-core CPU just to use USB 3.0 or future proofing yourself for the next 5 years because also P55 and H57 motherboards would also allow you to use USB 3.0 and SATA 3 too. So I wasn't just talking about relevancy or future proofing but I was also concerning about finance/spending money since most of us are not rich. For example, ASUS P7P55D and P7P55D-E series motherboards would also future proof you with USB 3.0 and SATA 3 without making you spend too much money for Triple DDR3 Ram or a $1000 6-core CPU so spending money is something to also consider. X58 system might not even offer you the cheaper future CPU upgrade too and you might end up paying more than you really have to (based on Intel's 2010 roadmap).

Anyway, talking about relevancy and future proofing temporarily, X58 would also future proof you but unlike P55 and H57, the X58 high-end system would come with high price. Maybe the X58's future CPU upgrade might cost you too much like Intel Gulftown 6-core CPU which isn't necessary for future-proofing at all. So it is Intel's high end system which is more like marketing hype than the mainstream P55 market segment because it is more oriented towards servers especially the 6-Core CPU/Core i9 for DP Server/Workstation market since most of applications and games for Desktop PCs are not even optimize for 4 cores yet so 6 cores + triple DDR3 RAM are too much unless if you are rich or you wanna spend more or you are running a home server which might benefit more from 6 cores. :ouch:

If you are planning to go for Core i7 920 + X58 system then I would prefer to recommend Core i5 system with Core i7 860 which is faster than Core i7 920 and it would also save your money. Triple DDR3 Ram did not boost the performance for Core i7 920 that much since the Core i7 860 + Dual DDR3 RAM had proved it so Dual DDR3 RAM with Core i5 system is enough. ;)

http://en.expreview.com/2009/08/28/core-i7-860-tested-faster-than-core-i7-920.html

Anyway, if you are rich or you need 6-core CPU for running a server then I would not even spend time arguing but most of us would not certainly get that for just to future proof ourselves with USB 3.0 and SATA 3 for Desktop PCs. With $1000, I could have buy the entire Desktop PC included USB 3.0 and SATA 3 without a problem. :)