Fan Control / Diamond HD 4870

I just recently installed the HD 4870 (1gb) and downloaded the ATI 9.5 Catalyst. However, my catalyst does not have the fan control slider. When I check the graphics card using the GPU-Z program it shows my fan running at 39%, but only at 1 rpm. My FPS go down considerably after a few minutes of play. I have a 550 watt PSU (Rocket Fish) which is also brand new. Any ideas/suggestions?

Could an older MOBO be the reason this is happening? I have an ATI MOBO and run a AMD 64 2.2ghz w/ 2 GB DDR Ram. The MOBO is about 3 years old.
5 answers Last reply
More about control diamond 4870
  1. yes it does. Open up Catalyste Control Center, ATI OVERDRIVE tab, click the UNLOCK button, and then slide the fan control lever up to whatever you want. I generally crank it up past 60% when i game and turn it back down when i'm done. Leave the GPU and Memory clocks alone.. for now :)
  2. What is the specific card you have? I have seen some that do not report fan speeds and may not have fan control. Also, what are your idle and load temps? (HWMonitor is a great program for getting min/max temps on all of your components. GPU-Z will do it as well). Also, take a look in you case and see if the fan seems to be spinning decently fast.
  3. U have installed the Catalyst program at least 4 times. I opened up the Overdrive component every time and there is no fan slider. I have been talking to a friend on ventrillo and he says the same as you Doormat, but its simply not there. I think I may have one of the fans that does not report the speed. Idle.Load temps is about 53.

My cpu would just restart mid-game when it was acting wierd. (BF2142) I really haven't gotten it all the way on line yet. It has always had one problem or another.

**Diamond Radeon HD 4780 1 gb DDR5
  4. take a screenshot of your catalyst control panel (ctrl-printscreen) then copy paste it to paint then upload it to imageshack.

53c is pretty good for a 4870 btw so i wouldn't worry about that.
  5. Sorry if this is an old post, but has this issue been solved?

Same thing is happening to me, Catalyst and GPU-Z are showing I am running at 1 rpm, but I am definitely running like normal. GPU-Z is showing "GPU Temperature" at about 60 at idle. Any thoughts?

Running a Core i7 860 with a Gigabyte motherboard and xfx 4870 1 gig. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Catalyst HD Fan Controller Graphics