Sign in with
Your question

Deleted my c drive how can i fix this on my desk top dell

Last response: in Windows XP
October 21, 2011 8:19:44 AM

i accidently deleted my c drive now i cant get into anything how do i fix this
October 21, 2011 8:33:17 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's quite difficult accidentally to delete your C:\ drive so can you please describe exactly what happened? When you switch on your Dell, do you see a brief message to press any Function key to "Restore to Factory Defaults?"

Which model is your Dell and did it come with any installation CDs?

m
l
October 21, 2011 5:25:28 PM

No way to "fix" it really. If you need to recover data from it, plug it into another computer and use a data recovery software like Recova (free and good) to see what files it will pick up.

Then I'd buy a new drive, and do a system recovery.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2011 5:24:30 AM

Just in case the OP Googles that, Hang, it's Recuva with a U and it comes from those nice CCleaner people at http://www.piriform.com.

m
l
November 11, 2011 8:23:19 PM

rita_06 said:

I did the same thing on my laptop.I had Windows 7 operating system on my laptop.When I was trying to perform a task the hard drive containing windows 7 dissapeared.I managed to fix it by going into the bios and making the sata mode show AHCI.If you have XP make the sata mode show IDE.
m
l
January 25, 2012 9:32:32 PM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's quite difficult accidentally to delete your C:\ drive so can you please describe exactly what happened? When you switch on your Dell, do you see a brief message to press any Function key to "Restore to Factory Defaults?"

Which model is your Dell and did it come with any installation CDs?

To get rid of a virus (Internet Security 2012) I reinstalled the Windows 7 OS using the F12 method successfully. But, when I attempted to restore my files that I had backed up on a ClickFree device, there wasn't enough room on the hard drive due to some (Recovery?) files. So. I attempted to erase some files using WipeDrive software. That's how I ended up erasing the entire hard drive.
I have a Dell Studio 1558 and, yes, it came w/installation disks.
m
l
January 26, 2012 11:38:26 AM

rita_06 said:

If you have access to either a laptop or another desktop.Go to www.dell.co.uk. When you get to the webpage type your question in the search box.When the new webpage shows click on desktops on the left.Select your model.Then click on help and support.There's lot of similar questions as yours.You will probably find the answer their.
m
l
!