Sign in with
Your question

Mixing ram of different cas. but same brand, size, speed, voltage

Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2009 1:28:27 AM

hi do you think it is OKs if i mix the two ram with different latency but De same on voltage, size, speed.. and other thing.. what about different brand, but same size speed voltage. but different latency.. tnx
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 2:17:51 AM

Yes, you can mix latencies without a problem.

You can also mix brands but you need to make sure they are also supported by your motherboard. I personally don't advise mixing brands but I've never seen anyone harm their system with same RAM different brands.
November 5, 2009 6:53:56 AM

tnx.. my motherboard is Intel Desktop Board D945GCCR and supported only DDR2 533 or DDR2 400 MHz SDRAM DIMMs Non-ECC DIMMs... but i have 1 stick of 1gig 667mhz kingston. i take this to my other pc because im using now pc2-6400.. can i use this 667mhz kingston to my intel d945gccr motherboard or it will only ruin my system? because it only support 400mhz and 533mhz..
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 1:16:52 PM

All your memory will run at the speed of the slowest stick.
Now whether or not that actually affects the performance or speed of your entire system is dependant on a lot of other things.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 1:48:48 PM

With DDR-2 you can mix CAS timings as long as the memory is supported by your motherboard.

But with DDR-3 you have to be very careful about mixing CAS Timings as you can cause your system to either not recognize the memory with the lower CAS Timing (faster rating) or to not boot at all depending on which memory sockets you put it in.

stingreye had this very problem here with DDR3 memory

stingreye confirmed a few replies later @ 11-01-2009 at 03:52:09 AM that this was indeed the problem after he had received a second set of new memory sticks to match the first set he had ordered.
November 5, 2009 10:37:07 PM

thanks guys. that is very helpfull.. coz im thinking of my samsung and kingston memory they are different brand and have different CAS. is there any effect on mixing different brand..? coz someone told me it is ok mixing two different brand of ram unless it is supported of the chipset..
November 5, 2009 10:39:43 PM

tnx... it helps me alot.. yah your right much better if same brand..
November 12, 2009 10:30:05 PM

TheViper said:
Yes, you can mix latencies without a problem.

You can also mix brands but you need to make sure they are also supported by your motherboard. I personally don't advise mixing brands but I've never seen anyone harm their system with same RAM different brands.

how about.. mixing single sided ram and double sided ram? but same in brand, voltage, timing?
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 11:24:29 PM

You'll have to check your motherboard manual.

Some boards don't mind doing that at all and others get cranky.

There's no harm in try it at least. If it doesn't work, it will let you know when it boots by yelling (beeping) at you.
!