What is wrong with my acer aspire 4736? suddenly it is becoming slow

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hello,
what is wrong with my acer aspire 4736? suddenly it is becoming very slow, such as when we minimize a window it is not coming to tray suddenly, instead it is coming to tray step by step and at the same video or audio is not running smoothly.
If restart the system, everything is ok for sometime.

It could be many things.

Does it happen after you run a certain program, or perform a certain task like printing?
When the system becomes slow, is the hard drive light flashing a lot or on solid?
Is your virus protection up to date?

The next time is is slow run the Task Manager, click on the performance tab, and see if the CPU usage is near 100%. If it is, then click on the Processes tab, and look to see what process is tacking up the most CPU cycles.

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
It's not only video problem. Even now i am not using any video or audio files but still i am facing same problem. System has become slow, If I minimise my opened windows are not immediately coming to taskbar, instead slowly step by step they are coming to taskbar.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Have you tried disabling the various animation effects? Windows XP defaults to having various effects occur such as shadows under the mouse cursor, menus, animating them, and other such things. These are not necessary and are only "eye candy", in a sense. Disabling these will speed things up, to some extent. How to disable them? Access the control panel, double-click "system", click on "advanced", then click on the "settings" button in the "performance" section. Make sure you're on the "visual settings" tab then clear all of these check boxes or just click "adjust for best performance".

Have you run a virus/malware scan recently? The system starting fast and becoming slow points to a malware problem. Drivers, of course, can also affect things.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I agree with my upstairs neighbour, ulillillia to adjust settings to best performance...

A few else you could try:
Check task manager if you have a service that's "eating" you memory. If it isn't vital, end task it, and see if same behavior.
You can also disable things you don't need from startup and services in msconfig.
I would also recommend running a clean up with CCleaner or Tune Up.

Does it behave the same way on a different user? or go to Start>run >msconfig and on General tab click Load basic devices, click apply and restart. See if behavior changed. :hello:

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you, I uninstalled all the gaming soft wares and unnecessary soft wares. But still the problem is existing. The actual problem is after using for sometime, suddenly system is becoming slow as if someone preventing it to run smoothly(holding very tightly). If i restart the system everything is ok for sometime again. It is occurring when sometimes I am at single task or when I am at multitasking. Or if I am watching a movie suddenly audio and video is running slow as if it is dragging by somebody. When the problem occurs if I minimize the opened windows they are not coming to the task bar immediately, instead they are coming step by step, At that time it is taking a lot of time to open any site. The problem may come at anytime such as sometimes it may occur after using 2 hours or sometimes it may just occur within 20 minutes. Please help me.

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you, I uninstalled all the gaming soft wares and unnecessary soft wares. But still the problem is existing. The actual problem is after using for sometime, suddenly system is becoming slow as if someone preventing it to run smoothly(holding very tightly). If i restart the system everything is ok for sometime again. It is occurring when sometimes I am at single task or when I am at multitasking. Or if I am watching a movie suddenly audio and video is running slow as if it is dragging by somebody. When the problem occurs if I minimize the opened windows they are not coming to the task bar immediately, instead they are coming step by step, At that time it is taking a lot of time to open any site. The problem may come at anytime such as sometimes it may occur after using 2 hours or sometimes it may just occur within 20 minutes. Please help me.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Windows Task Manager should help. First, you'll need to bring out additional columns. Switch to the processes tab, then click view then columns. From here, choose at least the following:

Image name (the program's executable)
CPU (the amount of CPU usage)
Page fault delta (when this gets very high, CPU usage sky rockets)
I/O reads (the number of times the hard drive is being accessed for reading)
I/O writes (same as reads but for writing)
I/O other (not entirely certain on this one, probably memory)

Extra elements, if you have space, could include these:
Peak mem usage (the most memory a program has used since running)
Base Pri (the priority of the program for processing (most should be "normal"))
Handles (basically, pointers, a programming term)
Threads (separate routines of a program that runs separately)

I use these, and a few others, for my programming needs, so I can keep an eye out for hidden bugs in my programs and also optimize them (or terminate them if an infinite loop occurs). I've also used this to assist in bug hunts for other programs, such as Zonealarm and uploading causing increasing amounts of page faults and with it, CPU usage, eventually crashing my browser. Chances are, if something is amiss, there's a bug present. Identifying the program will help diagnose the problem.

Taking a screenshot of what you see when you're experiencing the slow down will be of great use.

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you, I did what you had asked me to do so. But problem is still existing. May be this description may help you understand the problem exactly: Sometimes i turn on the system, after acer logo and information screen usually cursor should blink two times but instead of that it is blinking continuously without stopping system is not starting, XP logo is not coming, unless i press control alt and delete to restart.

Have you checked your power supply/converter/adapter (however you may call it)?.... I have seen the symptoms you mentioned occurring on several PCs that had a weak power supply. The choppy screen, unstable system, the necessary restarts, the failed boots succeeding after the second try,... even a blue screeen after the Windows Logo, and blue screens, autorestarts after a while of stable running... all were related to a failing Power Supply. I did mention PCs but a computer is a computer and a power supply for PC or Portable is nothing more than a power converter and all are subjected to eventual failure.

If you have already scanned for virus, deleted temp files, defragged the HD and checked the disc for erros, disabled startup programs (in start\run\msconfig\startup), and the only startup program runing is the antivirus, I would be surprised if the power supply (converter/adapter) was not your problem.

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you, I uninstalled all the gaming soft wares and unnecessary soft wares. But still the problem is existing.
The actual problem is after using for sometime, suddenly system is becoming slow as if someone preventing it to
run smoothly(holding very tightly). If i restart the system everything is ok for sometime again. It is occurring when sometimes I am at single task or when I am at multitasking. Or if I am watching a movie suddenly audio and video is running slow as if it is dragging by somebody. When the problem occurs if I minimize the opened windows they are not coming to the task bar immediately, instead they are coming step by step, At that time it is taking a lot of time to open any site. The problem may come at anytime such as sometimes it may occur after using 2 hours or sometimes
it may just occur within 20 minutes. Please help me.

May be this description is related to the above problem and it may help you understand the problem exactly: Sometimes, when i turn on the system or restart the system: after acer logo and information screen usually cursor should blink two times but instead of that it is blinking continuously without stopping, system is not starting, XP logo is not coming, unless i press control alt and delete to restart.

How to check the adapter or power supply?

nannapanenisivakumar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you, I uninstalled all the gaming soft wares and unnecessary soft wares. But still the problem is existing.
The actual problem is after using for sometime, suddenly system is becoming slow as if someone preventing it to
run smoothly(holding very tightly). If i restart the system everything is ok for sometime again. It is occurring when sometimes I am at single task or when I am at multitasking. Or if I am watching a movie suddenly audio and video is running slow as if it is dragging by somebody. When the problem occurs if I minimize the opened windows they are not coming to the task bar immediately, instead they are coming step by step, At that time it is taking a lot of time to open any site. The problem may come at anytime such as sometimes it may occur after using 2 hours or sometimes
it may just occur within 20 minutes. Please help me.

May be this description is related to the above problem and it may help you understand the problem exactly: Sometimes, when i turn on the system or restart the system: after acer logo and information screen usually cursor should blink two times but instead of that it is blinking continuously without stopping, system is not starting, XP logo is not coming, unless i press control alt and delete to restart.

How to check the adapter or power supply?

The blinking cursor is the BIOS having trouble with a hardware component. It may be due to a deffective device, or a device that's not getting the power it needs to boot, or both causes compounding the problem. During boot the computer components use more power than during normal operation, so it seems to me testing the power supply comes first.

Test the power supply with an ohmmeter, following these instructions:
(laptop power adapter: Output - 19.5V - 3.34 amps)
http://www.ehow.com/how_5058768_test-laptop-power-supply.html
http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop11.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5158618_test-power-adapter.html

Also read this to get an idea of what's causing the blinking cursor.
My Computer Boots Up To A Black Screen With A Flashing Cursor
http://tips4pc.com/computer-problems/my-computer-boots-up-to-a-black-screen-with-a-flashing-cursor.htm

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it was overheating.. the symptoms you described are consistent with an overheating processor. When the processor thermal protection makes it slowdown while it cools-down, the screen can become choppy, retarded or freeze-up. Startups can be slow, with restarts, and if they overheat severly they can blackout a few seconds after being powered up.

Maybe you need a Laptop Stand.

A better laptop stand for bed

Top 10 DIY Laptop Stands

Aluminum Laptop Stands