Sign in with
Your question

What notebook should I buy? [questionnaire]

Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2009 9:08:07 PM

This may be in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find one specifically for this. My apologies in advance if this is the case.

Anyway, before I post my wishlist, I need help: Are quad-core notebooks the way to go if I know i'm going to be multitasking CPU-intensive programs? Or will the additional power be a waste, especially given that 4C notebook CPU's are first-gen pieces? Does this matter?

Does anyone know the CPU load that CAD programs, Adobe suite, and Rhino have?

Thanks,
Brian

now, onto the questionnaire...

------------------------------------------------------
General Questions

1) What is your budget?
-Max $2000, preferrably $1800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
-approx. 15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
-the states.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: n/a
b. Dislike: n/a

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
-graphic rendering; using Rhino, Adobe Suite, and maybe one or two others (CAD? in parallel.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
-the notebook will be plugged in frequently, either in a studio or on my home desk. However, I am not looking for a desktop replacement.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
-Very few games if at all.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
-2.5hrs would be good, 3.0+ ideal (of useage).

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
-I would purchase online without seeing, provided pictures and adequate specs

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
-Windows V/7.

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
-I'm not particular about resolutions, but the higher the better since I will be rendering and using CAD.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
-no opinion.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
-black laptop preferred.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
-I would like to buy within two weeks, and have the laptop last minimum 2.5 years.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
-320 minimum.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
-Yes, however a docking station would also suffice. Programs will need to be installed using a DVD drive, burner is not important enough to pay extra for.
August 20, 2009 9:33:57 PM

Really for CAD and that you want a propper PC, not a notebook.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2009 10:09:45 PM

Sorry, but for your needs I cant recommend a laptop at all, if you were to get one you would need a quad core for sure, but I suspect as hard as your gonna run it it will burn up within a year.

Notebooks arent made for what you want to do.

For your needs and budget you could get a i7 or a dual xeon setup that will work perfect for your needs.
m
l
August 21, 2009 12:07:44 AM

+1 to the above. You can get a desktop i7 for your home, one for your office, and still have enough left over for a pretty decent laptop for portability on a $2000 budget.
m
l
!