This may be in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find one specifically for this. My apologies in advance if this is the case.
Anyway, before I post my wishlist, I need help: Are quad-core notebooks the way to go if I know i'm going to be multitasking CPU-intensive programs? Or will the additional power be a waste, especially given that 4C notebook CPU's are first-gen pieces? Does this matter?
Does anyone know the CPU load that CAD programs, Adobe suite, and Rhino have?
now, onto the questionnaire...
1) What is your budget?
-Max $2000, preferrably $1800
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
3) Where will you buying this notebook?
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: n/a
b. Dislike: n/a
5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
-graphic rendering; using Rhino, Adobe Suite, and maybe one or two others (CAD? in parallel.
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
-the notebook will be plugged in frequently, either in a studio or on my home desk. However, I am not looking for a desktop replacement.
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
-Very few games if at all.
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
-2.5hrs would be good, 3.0+ ideal (of useage).
9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
-I would purchase online without seeing, provided pictures and adequate specs
10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
-I'm not particular about resolutions, but the higher the better since I will be rendering and using CAD.
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Build Quality and Design
13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
-black laptop preferred.
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
-I would like to buy within two weeks, and have the laptop last minimum 2.5 years.
15) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
-Yes, however a docking station would also suffice. Programs will need to be installed using a DVD drive, burner is not important enough to pay extra for.