Sign in with
Your question

Time Machine & Maxtor B/U

Last response: in Toms Network
June 6, 2012 6:36:55 PM

I have an iMac (24" Early 2008), and a Maxtor OneTouch 4 external backup drive. It is still under Warranty: Expiration is 12-Mar-2014.

Last week I ran avast!'s free anti virus, and it told me there are infected files in archive 1 in Volumes/Maxtor B:U.
I don't know how to get at or remove these infected files from the Maxtor OneTouch4.

It had been backing up automatically to Time Machine (I think?), but maybe only to the Maxtor? I don't even know how I would go about transferring all data on the Maxtor to my iMac HD if the need ever arises.

Does Time Machine depend on the Maxtor backup, or is Time Machine just in my HD in my iMac, on its own?

Thanks for any help!

pdm

More about : time machine maxtor

July 2, 2012 8:32:35 PM

The MAC backup is independent of the Maxtor software. Avast did not clean up the files? Maybe scan with something else?

Also make sure you have an anti-virus program on your MAC and scan that, the virus came from your computer to that backup somehow.
July 2, 2012 9:56:50 PM

Hi hang-the-nine. My replies are directly after yours:

"The MAC backup is independent of the Maxtor software." You mean whatever software is in the Maxtor, has nothing to do with what the Time Machine sends to it to back up, correct? When I bought the Maxtor I don't remember setting anything up "in" it. I just followed any on screen instructions. (My memory sucks)

"Avast did not clean up the files?" I don't think it did (?) Since then, I have deleted Avast, so I can't re-scan again. (I heard that Avast is not that good.)

"Maybe scan with something else? Also make sure you have an anti-virus program on your MAC and scan that, the virus came from your computer to that backup somehow." I do have iAntiVirus installed. Ran it today (General), and it showed zero. It is always turned on.(I don't know how good this program is)? In fact, I don't even know what it scans, or if it scans the Maxtor. I only have the FREE iAntiVirus program.

A few days ago, the Maxtor icon disappeared completely from my desktop. I just unplugged it (power and USB), so now it's just doing nothing. When I entered Time Machine a couple of weeks ago, it did go back to about eight months ago, so I guess it was backing up correctly?

Another thing that happens out of the blue. I get a message that the disk was not properly ejected. I have nothing else connected to my iMac except the Maxtor. Maybe this message is referring to the Maxtor, I don't know?

Thanks for replying, and if there's anything else you can decipher from my remarks above, please let me know. pdm

Related resources
July 3, 2012 1:23:05 PM

If you used the MAC backup, then the Maxtor software is not involved.

You should run a second anti-virus, I have no idea what is good on the MAC side. Most programs will miss something that another one can pick up. And do a scan on the external drive not just the local one.

The disk message does sound like it's from your external drive, and you said that it no longer is seen?
July 3, 2012 3:05:26 PM

If you used the MAC backup, then the Maxtor software is not involved.

You should run a second anti-virus, I have no idea what is good on the MAC side. Most programs will miss something that another one can pick up. And do a scan on the external drive not just the local one.

The disk message does sound like it's from your external drive, and you said that it no longer is seen?

************************************************************************************************

Last night, I hooked up the Maxtor and it appeared on my desktop, so I did a backup. Everything seemed back to normal.

I went into iAntiVirus and in the "Custom" scan, was able to scan ONLY the Maxtor B/U. I left the scan running and went to bed, as it looked like it may take some time.

This morning, the screen was black, and I thought it was just sleeping, so I moved the mouse and nothing happened. I touched a keyboard key to wake it up, and nothing. The whole computer was shut down! It should have only been sleeping!

I pressed the power switch, and it came on, but the Maxtor icon was no longer on the desktop, and the iAntiVirus was not there either. My mouse cursor is acting weird - it doesn't move smoothly over the desktop, and, it freezes. As I'm typing this to you, only a couple of letters appear at a time, and then the rest of the wording appears in a couple of seconds. It's driving me nuts! NOW, suddenly the Maxtor B/U logo has appeared on the desktop again, and the message about not ejecting a disk properly also appeared.

After I hit Submit to you, I'm going to shut down completely, and disconnect EVERYTHING and see what happens. Wish me luck!
July 4, 2012 12:58:03 PM

Good morning everybody!

It sure is. Everything's running PERFECTLY now.

Thanks for your responses. pdm
!