Eight 22" Monitors

smanion

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Happy Father's Day, dads. If you're not a dad, call one.

I have 2 Quadro 1400 cards on a motherboard that has 2 full PCI express 16 slots. (doesn't drop to 8 when both are used) Goal is to run eight 22" monitors. Each Quadro has two dual DVI-I outputs. My monitors each have one Dual DVI-D and two VGA inputs. To begin, on one card I have installed 2 dual DVI-D Y cables and 4 single (not dual) DVI-D cables to 4 monitors. I get 3 independent displays and 1 clone. Clones I don't need. Is this a driver or setup problem; or do I need a different cabling arrangement?

Thanks for your help.

smanion

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Please explain. Each card has 2 dual outputs. 2 dual ports per card card X 2 DVI Y cables = 4 DVI outputs X 2 cards = 8 outputs. Problem is that on each card I get 3 independent screens and one clone.
Does crossfire effect this issue?

your cards don't have crossfire, whats happening is each card can only handle 3 outputs at a time, to do 8 monitors you would need at leas 3 GPU's

the solution i provided gives you 4 GPU's (2/card), you could replace the last one with a lowend card with 2 dvi out and hook monitors to it

so the setup would be on the back of the cards
4850x2
dvi dvi-splitter
dvi dvi-splitter
lowend card (HD4650)
div div-splitter

HD4650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131133

if this isnt clear then each row would have 3 monitors(1 from dvi 2 from dvi with splitter) except the last card would use just 2 monitors