Hello! I am overclocking my CPU just to get those extra FPS in my games. When at idle my CPU temps are normally around 34C and loaded I get up to about 58
C. Are these good temps considering I'm OC'D to 3.4ghz? Thanks!
It is NOT HIGH. What are you basing that on? I don't even know the CPU but I can tell you it's in tolerance for ANY CPU I've ever seen.
Having said that, you may not need to overclock the CPU. Since I know nothing about your system specs I can only tell you how to determine if overclocking is needed.
1. CTRL-ALT-DEL (opens taskmanager)
2. Change settings to show all cores/threads
3. change settings to LOWEST update speed for CPU monitoring
4. Run a game for at least 5 minutes
5. Close the game
6. Observe the CPU history graphs
This gets a little tricky, but:
1. If you had a SINGLE CORE CPU and it never hit 100% then increasing it's speed would make no difference to the game
2. If you have MULTIPLE CORES, but none of the cores hit 100% then increasing the cpu speed would still make NO DIFFERENCE to the game
3. If you have multiple cores but one of the cores hits 100% you MAY see an increase in a game by overclocking but it depends whether another core picks up the slack.
Most "gaming" systems are limited by the graphics and the CPU's aren't stressed to 100%. In such cases, overclocking the CPU makes zero difference in performance; it only increases slightly the noise and heat and at worst may crash your system. Modern CPU's are hard to destroy as they can shut down if the temperature is too high. (actually the "worst" thing is probably a CPU that is slightly glitchy due to overclocking. It's possible to have a CPU or RAM which is on the verge of crashing but instead they occasionally just change the information causing instabilities).
1. Temperatures are fine
2. Quality, larger Heatsink/Fan can significantly reduce NOISE over the stock and is always more stable
3. CPU overclocking is NOT recommended unless you need it.
4. Task Manager can be used to monitor if you would benefit from the CPU being overclocked.
What are your components? What cooler are you using? What are your ambien temps? Those are basic question before say you if your temps are bad or not, while you reply to that, I can see that 58ºC isn't bad but also isn't good. 55ºC or below is the idea.