PC freezes when trying to play dvd in WMP

willi1615

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I built a new PC about 3 weeks ago and it has been working great so far. Today I tried to play a dvd in windows media player and my pc froze up.

I had recently been messing around with some overclock settings and had only ran prime95 for about 1 hour without errors so I thought that was my problem. I restarted comp and went back to settings I knew were stable but same thing happened.

My graphics card is a sapphire 4770 and I have been using it at maxed overclock settings in CCC at 830 gpu and 850 memory. After relaxing cpu settings I tried setting the graphics card back to stock settings and then the dvd worked. Messing around with it more I was able to set the gpu back to 830 with success, but moving the memory from 800 to 805 caused the freeze up every time.

I am pretty confused about this since I have been gaming on the pc (wow, tf2, l4d) for 3 weeks with those graphics settings with zero problems.

Rest of PC:

gigabyte ep43-ud3l
e7400 @ 4ghz (400x10)
gskill 4 gb ddr2 800
pc power and cooling silencer 420w

Not really sure if I have to leave my memory at 800 or if there is maybe some other issue I could look into. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with overclocking. It's most likely a driver/software issue. Updating the dvd drives firmware may help as well.
Make sure you have the latest drivers/firmware and try playing a dvd on something that isn't as bloated and crappy as WMP. VLC is a good choice, as always.

willi1615

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Yeah I thought that was the problem but I went back to settings I knew were stable and the same problem occured.

willi1615

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Pretty sure I have the latest drivers/firmware. The freeze only happens when I have the gpu memory above 800 mhz, which is weird cause I have had no problems in games at 850 mhz.