Sign in with
Your question

Ram incress fps?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 21, 2011 8:04:50 PM

I currently have 4gb of ram in my pc. I was wondering if i but 3 more gigs in will the fps in games increase or make the game run smoother?

Processor:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1035T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory:
4096MB RAM

Hard Drive:
1 TB

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

More about : ram incress fps

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 8:45:33 PM

Adding RAM beyond 4GB isn't going to help FPS in games much at all, games just don't make much use of more than 3GB of RAM. Overclocking your CPU and/or getting a second/different video card are the main things that will increase your FPS. What games do you play and at what resolutions and settings?
March 21, 2011 9:07:40 PM

crysis 2 bad company 2 and my resolution is 1920x1200
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:46:56 PM

Yeah, more RAM won't help you. If you want more FPS either (first option) overclock your CPU, or (second option) get a better graphics card. I don't recommend the second option because you have a decent graphics card as is, and your motherboard probably doesn't support SLI unless it has a Nvidia chipset, which means you would have to get rid of current card instead of adding a second one in SLI. What FPS are you getting now?
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:58:27 PM

+1 overclocking the CPU will give you a good increase while you need to spend alot to get a good performance gain from a new graphics card.
March 21, 2011 10:13:05 PM

overclock it to 3.2ghz without a vcore change and watch it fly
March 21, 2011 10:19:40 PM

To answer your original question...

Not necessarily.

The question you should be asking is "Does my computer need more memory to run efficiently?".

How you answer that is by using performance analysis of the computer - eg: using performance monitor in Windows.

Examine the computers PEAK memory requirements.
If the computer is using more memory than it has physically installed - then the answer is "Yes" - increasing memory will improve your system's performance. IF the answer is "No", then you will be throwing your money down the drain and it won't achieve anything.

If you want detailed info on how to do windows performance monitoring, then do some searching on MS Technet and find the articles on examining memory performance and what the various counters actually mean, as a lot of folks misinterpret the meaning of various OS perfmon counters. It's not hard to do, but you should properly understand the performance metrics and what they mean.

You could also investigate if the game you are concerned about supports addressing memory higher than 2 GB and if you are using a 32 bit OS, you might want to consider changing the boot.ini settings to allow user level processes to address up to 3 GB of memory, rather than the 2 GB default per process limit.

There's some easy to find tools for altering game executables to make them aware of memory greater than 2 GB.

...there's a couple of ideas anyway...

March 21, 2011 11:15:49 PM

thanks and i forgot to put my video card is an Asus engtx460 top if that makes a diffrence
!