Second Hard Drive can not be assigned a drive letter

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Heya, folks.

Just added a second 1TB SATA drive to my newest build (you can never have enough storage, right?), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work.

I poked around on the internet to see if I could find out what to do, and I subsequently went to Disk Management to assign a drive letter. Nothing. Here's what I see:

30uuu03.png

Note that Disk 0 is my boot drive (the one I'm running on ATM, obviously), Disk 1 is the new HDD (obviously unused completely), and the CD-ROM drive is, well, the CD-ROM drive (actually DVD-ROM, but never mind that). I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking, but in the top list (where you are supposed to right-click and select drive letters), my new HDD doesn't appear. Right-clicking on the Disk 1 thing on the bottom is no better, as I'm presented with these options:

fmt9b9.png

I've tried resetting the computer entirely, that didn't help. Is there something in the BIOS I should be doing? I thought the only thing you would do there is initialize the drive and get the mobo to recognize it -- it did that on its own. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Solution
Try to right-click on the area showing Unallocated, and you should get an option to format the disk, this should enable you to give it a drive letter.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

The "New Simple Volume" option? That's the only selection I can make when I do that.