Sign in with
Your question

Random Computer Restarts

Last response: in CPUs
August 21, 2009 12:10:27 AM

It doesn't seem to be a big problem, but every few days I'll be playing a game (Fallout 3 with tons of mods), and my computer will just go black, and immediately restart. I thought it might be a heat problem, but I got a temperature monitoring gadget and it said I had a temp of 106 degrees F, which converted to C is about 40ish. Not too bad. I'm not sure what could be causing it other than that. Bad drivers? Dislodged internal cable?

Anyway, any suggestions?

I have 4 sticks of ram (2GB, 2GB, 1GB, 1GB), 4870 video card, Foxconn motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2009 3:00:00 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Remove the dust. Reapply thermal compound.
Regulate the fan with Rivatuner.
Some cards report 100ºC as threshold in Rivatuner, such as 8800GT.
Could be failing power supply.
Test the memory with memtest86+.
a c 172 à CPUs
August 21, 2009 3:06:52 PM

That is one sign of an inadequate PSU - computer runs fine except occasionally reboots under heavy 3D load.

What kind of PSU?
Related resources
November 30, 2009 9:11:52 PM

It's starting to do it even more frequently, so I checked back on my thread.. hehe.

My PSU is a 600W OCZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It used to seem like random shut downs, but now it's definately seeming to be a pattern. Loading new Borderlands areas crashed it several times in a night, but then not at all another night. Dragon Age is now posing a problem, and it is crashing every 10 minutes or so. Not fun.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 1, 2009 1:35:24 AM

If the PSU is working properly, you have plenty of power. If ...
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 2:12:08 AM

Run a processor/RAM intensive only app like Prime95 to check their stability.
December 5, 2009 1:21:52 AM

I will be doing a test over Christmas break to see if it's the PSU by switching mine with someone else's 'working' PSU. Hopefully that will shed some light on the problem if mine stops crashing, or his starts to.

I tried getting Memtest86+ to work but I don't think it will run on my 64 bit system. I did a Windows 7 memory diagnostic, though, and it ran clean.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 2:46:57 AM

It should run I think. I thought I have run it before on my 64-bit systems.
December 7, 2009 3:09:42 AM

So, could it be my CPU/GPU/Chipset overheating? Some other people were saying it might be one of those overheating. I tried touching them to test temp and they all seem warm, but I can keep my fingers on their heatsinks comfortably.

Like I said earlier, my program to test temperature said it was around 100C if i remember correctly, but the sensors could be broken. You never know.

If the graphics card was overheating would it shut the computer off? or just cut my monitor?

Also, I didn't run Memtest86+, but I have 2X2GB and 2X1GB sets of ram sticks. Took one set out and it shut off eventually, took the other out and it still shut off. So unless both sets are corrupted I think my RAM is safe.
December 8, 2009 2:49:35 AM

Another thing I noticed that might help figure out what the problem is:

Whatever is going wrong, it seems to be degrading. It used to crash once every two weeks during the summer; then it crashed once every few days a few months back; about two weeks ago it started crashing consistently while playing Dragon Age, but everything else was okay; now it crashes with everything, including easy tasks like just starting up Skype sometimes.

I will be getting a new PSU soon, hopefully that will fix it, or at least rule it out as the problem.
January 8, 2010 11:45:48 PM

I am actually having the exact same problem. My computer used to restart at seemingly random times once or twice a week. Now it is every 20 minutes or so.

It wasn't the PSU, heating, or RAM. I am beginning to think either CPU or Motherboard. What motherboard do you have Leviathon? I am running an MSI P7N Diamond motherboard. My CPU is an NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI.

Have you had any luck with your problem? I will be trying a new motherboard on Sunday and will see if that helps.
January 9, 2010 7:45:09 AM

For me, it was the heating of the CpU. Try having a heat monitoring program open while you run your programs so you can see it spike. If it's getting +70 degrees C, then you might want to look into getting a new CPU fan and thermal paste.

If the temp stays low, then I'm not quite sure. How are you sure it's not the PSU?
!