Sign in with
Your question

How much does FPS increase by from Overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 21, 2011 8:08:11 PM

So my current computer graphics card is a GeForce GT 130M 600/500/1500 Graphics card. (core/memory/shader)

By overclocking it, how much of a fps increase can I expect in games?
Also if anyone have overclocked this type of graphics card before, can you please tell me how much you overclocked it by?

I think my CPU and RAM are both fine, so it's just the graphics card that requires improvement.
(3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram)
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 8:48:13 PM

I would just get a different graphics card. Your current card is extremely weak and probably not worth the effort of overclocking just to get a couple FPS extra. There are plenty of graphics cards <$200 that pack plenty of performance if you don't want to spend too much on a new card.
m
l
March 21, 2011 8:50:30 PM

Still being a highschool student, even cheap graphics cards are out of the question :(  So overclocking my current one is the only solution in sight. How much fps improvement will there be aprox. though?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:10:07 PM

Most games aren't CPU bound, I still play games on my C2D 3Ghz and most play fine and the thing holding me back is still my graphic card, not my GPU.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a c 130 K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:49:23 PM

If I am not mistaken, the 130M sounds like a laptop graphics chip.

If so, you are as good as you will ever get. Laptops do not usually have any overclocking capabilities, and you really can't replace the graphics chip.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:53:06 PM

draiklord said:
Still being a highschool student, even cheap graphics cards are out of the question :(  So overclocking my current one is the only solution in sight. How much fps improvement will there be aprox. though?

Hey, I'm in highschool too and look at the rig I have in my sig. :p  (no I'm not a spoiled rich kid, I have a summer job) Honestly I would do whatever you can to scrape together $100 for a better card if you can, the difference will be enormous. If you can't do even that you can download a tool like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision and overclock your current card. Depending on how much of an overclock you do I'd estimate a 5-10% gain at most.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2011 9:54:33 PM

^^ Good point.
m
l
March 25, 2011 10:09:52 PM

In general, anything card with "m" or "mobility" is for laptops/netbooks.
Overclocking results change from case to case, but usually isn't one that creates a 20 FPS difference from a 10 FPS game.
m
l
November 1, 2012 2:27:17 PM

lol go save 120 dollar maybe can get a gtx 560
m
l
!