Trying to delete some old XP files...

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I upgraded my OS from Windows XP to Windows 7. There are some leftover files from Windows XP on the computer now. If I try deleting them I get the following error:

"You need permission to perform this action."

S-1-5-21-1960408961-854245398-839522115-1004 is the parent of the files and I can't change this. I try to delete this user and it says I can't because it's inheriting permissions from a parent. I go to change inherited permissions and I can't.

How the hell can I delete these files?

I've tried everything I can think of under security...

Solution
saw ur other post. u have to have a retail copy of win7. not a rolback disk that comes w/ a oem pc. if you have a copy that you bought then it WILLwork.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
ive had the same problem before. im not sure why it happens.
what i did to delete them is boot into linux and work from there. in linux the pc security 'features' dont apply so you have full access/edit/delete privileges. just make sure that the version u use supports ntfs read/write. i use knoppix for this. you can live boot off a usb and access the host machine to delete locked files.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
(just b careful u dont screw up ur win 7. u'll have FULL access to everything, so watch out.)

-Sylvan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I just realized there are Windows xp files in with the windows 7. Ugh I hate backup.
I am just going to copy the files I actually need to an external and do a complete reinstall of windows 7.
Wiping everything seems easier.

I have windows 7 OEM, this should be fine to do a clean install on the same harddrive right?

mrfi5

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

better u can try downloading "take ownership" software.after u install this software right click on the file that u want 2 delete and then select take ownership.that's all. now u can delete ur old xp files............

hope helped.