BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

Im helping my friend who's taking up architecture, make a decision about his videocard purchase. Here's his problem, he complains that when he does work in Autodesk Revit, and Archicad (most likely rendering) it takes DAYS for his computer to finish the task. So he researched a bit and found out that he needs a videocard to make the work faster, he looked at the tesla and quadro line of videocards but he's just a student and can't afford those professional cards, so, i recommended a 9800gt and he's seriously considering it. His computer uses e2200, 1gb 800mhz ram, and i dont know the mobo but it's a g31 chipset with intel GMA 3100 if im not mistaken, he has no videocard atm.

Questions:
1. Will the 9800gt hugely benefit him in his work, comparing to the built in graphics he's running now? if it were to take 3 days for the built in graphics to finish what he's doing, how long would it take a 9800gt upgrade to do the same work? (approx)

2. Is my suggestion, okay? im thinking nvidia because of it's cuda technology, the programs he's using or will be using might take advantage of it.