Power Supply question for my new build

I am building a new PC, my budget is currently 1200-1300 dollars.

The Specs are as Follows:
GTX275
Phenom II 955 BE
790FX based mobo
6 gigs of DDR3
Coolermaster case with 4 120mm fans
1TB Seagate SATA HDD and a DVD-RW.
Windows 7 Pro.

The question I have is about the power supply for the rig. I currently have a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W psu that is in my current PC. I believe it is in the 62 Amp class. Will this be enough? The specs as listed eats up the $1200 I had budgeted. I really do not wish to spend the $300 or more that it will take to buy a beefier PSU but I will if I must.
4 answers Last reply
More about power supply question build
  1. Your entire system will use a lot less power than an 850 watt psu is capable of delivering. Your psu is more than you need. You should be okay.
  2. Does that include Amperage? Its mainly the Amps I'm worried about. I know Watt wise I will be more than ok. I just want to make sure it doesn't eat up more amps then a given 12V rail can supply. I think I accidentally burned up my x1950xt GFX card that way on my previous PSU(it was a 36A/650W PSU). I just want to make sure I don't do that again.

Thanks for the help!
  3. That includes amperage.
    Your previous psu probably wasn't very good , only 36 amps out of a 650 watt psu isn't a good sign,most good quality 550's can do better than 40 amps.
  4. A good 650 watt PSU will put out at least 50 amps at 12 volts. 36 amps is <insert scatalogical adjective here>.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies New Build Components