2600k and SSD

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Just received all my components for my2600k. ASus p8p78 deluxe board. I will be using pcs vertex2 120gb for windows etc. Do I need to still install f6 driver mentioned in other posts?

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
If using an intel chip download the driver and hit 'F6' whilst loading win7 to install the driver. If you do not do this during install, then windows will automatically load it's own driver which is inferior.

You can load your own driver any time from the device manager. There's no need to mess with it during install.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

Sorry I missed the 'what is it?' part.

'IT' is the (to quote intel)

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Supports SATA RAID 5/10 on specific desktop platforms, SATA RAID 0/1, AHCI, and matrix RAID on specific desktop and mobile platforms

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit version*, Windows 7, 3 .. More>

It's simply a better ahci driver which makes a big difference especially, it seems, with Sandforce 1200 based ssds.

Go to this page and start the process of finding the one you want.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29

Perhaps you can load it later? Perhaps but I don't think it will take. Besides, why not load it during install?